cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Smarthub 2 Wifi Speed

Fibre been in a couple of weeks now. The "boss" doesn't want any cable running along the skirting board so stuck with wifi which, to be honest, I haven't really bothered with up to now. Using an Archer T3U AC1300 is get the following:-

Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 36
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 433/433 (Mbps)
IPv4 address: 192.168.0.2
IPv4 DNS servers: 1.1.1.1
DNS suffix search list: home
Manufacturer: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Description: TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter
Driver version: 1030.44.531.2021

Is this realistically the maximum connection speed I can expect from the SH2 wifi?

Steve

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Smarthub 2 Wifi Speed

this was a previous post using search about wifi speeds

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Poor-Wifi/m-p/2309019

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Your link speed at 433 Mbps is the lowest possible on the 5GHz band for 802.11ac.  Right now my laptop is showing a link speed of 866 Mbps - I'm sitting about 3 metres away from one of the BT discs making a mesh back to my SH2.  So, it's possible that by changing your router position and/or installing some mesh devices that you could get a higher link speed.

However, that's not really the most significant point, as you will never see downloads running at the maximum link speed.  As an example, my download speed on fast.com is currently showing as 230 Mbps.  The best download I've seen on my WiFi is around 360 Mbps, and that's at a desk that's about 2m away from the BT SH2.  On a wired connection I get a solid 920 Mbps download.

To be completely honest, I can't see any difference in day to day use between the 230 Mbps I get sitting here in the kitchen vs the 920 Mbps I can get at my home office desk with wired connection giving me 920 Mbps - unless, obviously, I'm downloading very large files (and even then I sometimes can't be bothered moving to the wired connection, and just go and make a cup of tea while the download progresses).

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Yeah, I did scan that one imjolly. Just not that familiar with wifi nowadays
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Yeah I hear where you're coming from ptrduffy, that's why I stuck to eth for so long (particularly for gaming). Will have to work on "the boss" I guess 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Just as a further to this, speed checked both wifi and eth, results below.

Cat 5e Speedtest.pngLinksys speedtest wifi.png

0 Ratings