cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Smarthub 2

I have a Smarthub 2 and for the last 6 weeks, I have internet connection problems, possibly started when I was changed over to digital for my home phone although I am not too sure about this. The ongoing problem is that whilst I can access some sites like Youtube and google easily, I cannot access many others like BBC News or the Adobe home page. The 'death' whirling clock comes on in the tab and I am timed out. I have tried with Chrome and with Edge but still the problem with access. I have tried everything, switching the smarthub off and on, factory reset, disconnecting the computer and other connections to the smarthub and just having one connected device. I have my laptop connected to the smarthub by cable and it sits some 2 feet away. The computer shows I am connected but again no access to most sites, including BT's own site!! I have tried using wifi only with the laptop and occasionally that improves performance, but not much. Sometime my phone says connected but no internet. The real funny thing is that my download speed in around 50mB ?????. I don't know whats going on. BT says there is nothing wrong with the smarthub! I have cleared cache and cleared browser data, but all to no avail. I have tried a different laptop but nothing changes. I am surprised I can get onto this site. Whats going on??  Any help would be much appreciated before BT or shall I say EE gets the heaveho.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Smarthub 2

@SteveMika 

BT and EE are separate companies, so who are you with, as you mentioned EE?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Pete EE and BT have merged. I have been dealing with EE advisers although the message to contact them have been from BT. Eventually BT as a company will dissappear.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Sorry Keith, I mistakenly called you Pete.

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@SteveMika 

See https://www.bt.com/about/bt/our-brands

BT will exist, its a global company, but will be concentrating on business users.

There are still going to be BT residential users who are out of contract, or have not been persuaded to move to EE by sales people after commission.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for the info Keith. I have been dealing with EE and I am still stuck with no access to websites. Is there a simple way to determine if the Home hub is faulty?

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Use a device that you can manually change the DNS settings to Google DNS and see if that helps. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Thanks Keith. What is the device. Can I buy it or can I do this if I can get access to the hub management system.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Keith means one of your devices such as PC/laptop/phone etc.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

What I mean is to try one of your existing computers, and manually change the network DNS settings so it uses Google DNS, and not BT or EE DNS.

The inability to reach certain websites is normally caused by faulty DNS servers. Sometimes restarting the home hub can help, as it may change the DNS servers.

Changing the setting on one device would prove whether that is the issue.

0 Ratings