cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 48

Re: So....throttling...

Thought I'd give an update...

Second engineer visit - unable to fix but could quite easily see that full speeds are available to me, but when it comes to Seafile, only if I use a VPN. Engineer couldn't explain. Next visit is from someone in Openreach. Next week...

A neighbour, ten doors down from me (we live in a long cul-de-sac), allowed me to test his BT wifi. He has the 900 package, whereas I have the 500. 

Testing now on a laptop...and at home I am experiencing exactly the same issues as I did on two desktops and my phone. Turn on VPN and laptop download speed from server is back to max. So...all the same.

At my neighbour's house, without the VPN, I was seeing 50MB/s (average) and with the VPN switched on around 90MB/s.

So what is going on here?

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 48

See message 15.

Do a tracert to the server via both methods of connection and compare.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 48

Thanks. Did look at that a few days ago, but got a little bit lost. 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 48

Maybe lack of knowledge but I'm struggling to run a tracert using VPN or not.

I have the IP address (and "logged in" on the website version so I know it's working) but tracerts just show "non-existent domain" or DNS request timed out.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 48

Update on my situation...

Had an Openreach engineer come out - my third engineer. Couldn't find any issue either.

Took my laptop to a neighbour, a few doors down... He's on BT 900Mbps. Didn't experience any issue with downloading from the server, with and without VPN switched on.

So "throttling" only happens at my house, with a second router, and three engineers saying the connection is fine.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 48

How is your device connecting to your hub, by WI-fi or Ethernet?

If by Wi-fi, have you checked that the 'Wireless Mode' setting in your hubs advanced wireless settings is set to Mode 1

If it does it on both Ethernet and wireless, have you checked that the 'Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode' softswitch (advanced Broadband Settings) is set to ON

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 48

Tried both wifi and wired.

Will check that softswitch now... Thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 28 of 48

Yeah...it's ON.
0 Ratings
Message 29 of 48

What is your upload speed, as a poor upload speed will affect the download speed, as received packets will not be acknowledged quick enough?

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 48

Not uploading anything at all.

0 Ratings