cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Solid Orange when ethernet cables plugged into any of the additional Ethernet ports

I am a new BT customer. Trying to connect my power line adapter to my router. When I connect it and turn the socket on both ends the light on my hub goes orange and I have no internet. Earlier when I tried to connect my Amp using the WPS button my amp gave me a password to enter into my hub??? It has no keypad so goodness knows how I would do that. Any help appreciated. Thank you. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Solid Orange when ethernet cables plugged into any of the additional Ethernet ports

Have you paired the 2 power line adapters¿. After pairing you need to plug one in near hub and then connect power line to hub  port 1 with ethernet cable

Then take other power line adapter and plug in wherever you want it then connect your device to the power line adapter by ethernet cable. No password required

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Re: Solid Orange when ethernet cables plugged into any of the additional Ethernet ports

Are you plugging in the power line adapter to the router using one cable, or two?

If you’re using 2 then unplug one.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

@Clairejane 

If you have an FTTC connection (copper), then some powerline adapters can cause interference which results in the home hub losing connection.

TP Link powerline adapters are known to give this issue.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

There is no option to pair my power line adaptor (that I can see) with my Virgin router I just plugged them in and the worked 😔 I just tried pressing the WPS button and left it for a few minutes - light went orange again, no internet. I don’t understand - I’m not very techy I’m afraid. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Doesn’t make any difference. Just tried plugging my switch into one port in the router - light went orange. Doesn’t seem to want to let me plug anything into the router. 😔 I looked before I posted here and it says if the light is orange then the password is wrong so I am wondering if I need to change a security setting in the router that is currently set to other devices requiring a password? No idea how to do that - did look but can’t find any posts relating to that. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Why are you still using your Virgin Router? You should be using the BT Smart Hub 2. What type of Internet connection do you have? Is it an optical fibre connection with an optical modem?

What make of powerline adapters are you using?

Can you provide a picture of what you are using?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

You should have one of these types of connection.

Connection to your Openreach phone socket.

smart hub 2 vdsl.jpg

Or

Connection to an Openreach Optical Modem.

smart hub 2.jpg

Your Virgin router should not be connected to anything, and must be turned off.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

I’m not quite that stupid so am NOT using my Virgin router - I was remarking that when I had a Virgin router I just plugged them in and they worked. I have an optical modem. Everything is connected correctly. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

That`s good, you would be surprised about some of the posts we get on this user forum 😉

So you have the second setup as shown on my pictures?

What make of powerline adapters are you using, have to tried factory resetting them, as they may have retained the Virgin settings, which are totally different to BT.