cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Split Fibre or get another one at the same address.

Hello.

I would like to ask what is possible in my situation.

At current address we have BT Fibre, recently we have changeover shed into an office/gaming room which is next to the house.

We would like to get Fibre there as get internet via Wi-Fi is not an option.

There is a Openreach box on the wall at the back of the house. 

Is it possible to split current fibre to the shed, get another bt router and have fibre there?

Or get separate fibre (we don't mind this idea even if its a bit more expensive per month) to the shed?

That grey box on the left is the openreach boxPXL_20231128_112043798.jpg

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Split Fibre or get another one at the same address.

@Dominix 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

The best option is to simply run an Ethernet cable from an Ethernet port on the BT Home hub, to the other building.

You can then have both an Ethernet connection and a wireless connection there if you wish.

If you just want wireless there, then simply add a wireless access point connected to the end of the cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Hello. 

Ethernet cable requires a lot of drilling in the walls what we want to avoid. Thats why I'm asking is it possible to split fibre or get another one.

Wireless connection from house to shed as i mentioned is not an option.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

No you cannot split the fibre, and paying for another one would be very expensive, and would still involve drilling.

Have you considered powerline devices, as they pass the connection over the mains wiring.

https://store.ee.co.uk/products/tp-link-av1000-2-port-gigabit-passthrough-powerline-starter-kit-tl-p...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

If splitting current one is not possible, then getting new one would not involve drilling in a house I guess?

And how can i get a qute to check how much it would cost to get new line? 

Powerline adapters are not always working properly. I've been using it in past and it's not a best solution.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Call sales and ask. There are a couple of problems you may encounter.

1. You might be restricted to one fibre line per address hence a second line wouldn't be possible.

2. Even if you get a second line, the chances are they would just exchange your single port ONT for a multi port ONT so you would be no further forward as you would still have to run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the second router.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

The grey box on the wall is the CSP ( customer service point ) , if money where no object, and you could arrange it without affecting your existing FTTP service, you could get a second FTTP ‘line’ , another optical cable from the CBT ( in a joint box in the footpath ) to the CSP , then from the existing CSP a new optical cable ran to the ‘office’ , an new ONT and router fitted in there , ( as stated this will require a hole to be drilled etc ) this would be a completely separate service , but presumably the existing address would have to be used to order it , hence the need to make sure it’s  a second service ordered  ( and get the ISP to acknowledged that fact  ) otherwise your existing service may be affected.
TBH , running an Ethernet cable from wherever the existing router is , or using something like powerline adapters would be much more cost effective rather than an additional service costing presumably something like £30-£40 a month , even if you are not a DIYer  , someone  like an electrician could do this ( relatively simple job ) for probably less than the price of  2-3 months ‘rental’ of a second service.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

If you do not want to run an Ethernet cable yourself, there are plenty of electricians that will do that for you, as many are asked to do just that.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

It would appear from your picture that you have an armoured electric cable running from your house to the shed. This would obviously have necessitated drilling holes in the walls.

If that is the case you could run an Ethernet cable to the shed using the same holes and route as the electrical cable. Once the cable is run you would connect one end to your BT hub and the other end in the shed to a wireless access point. 

This would give you wifi in the shed.

Message 10 of 16

That's not possible as that electric cable runs from bathroom just behind this wall, where fuse box is. Router is in completely different place.
WiFi in the shed is not needed, as pc that will be there has WiFi card that can work as AP.

So far I'm looks for alternative like another line, if anything else will fail to work.
0 Ratings