cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Stopping people using wifi

I have gone into the app and have set pause WiFi and selected all days and left a 5 min window in the early hours of the morning. 

However, they are still managing to access the internet. How is this possible. 

Screenshot_20220528-184049_My BT.jpg

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Stopping people using wifi

Perhaps they are not using WiFi perhaps they are plugging an ethernet cable into your hub.

OR

Somehow they have the app on their phone logged into your account so they can turn the WiFi back on.

OR

They access the hub on line and although you can't set access times there you can turn the access on/off

OR

You have not switched BT phone or whatever it is called off and they are using your WiFi as a hot spot.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Who is using the wireless signal, is it a member of your house hold or some one out side your house hold or do you not know?

If it is a house hold member they could simply carry out a factory reset of the BT hub which would over ride the settings and allow them to access the wireless signal. 

The MAC address shown on your screen print indicates it is probably an Azurewave Technology wireless card that is used by such devices as Playstations and Chromecast

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Its my neighbours son. I gave them the password - when theres went down as he needed it for school. All there other devices are back to using theres, except this one.

I can't change the password/Router name -as I have a number of wireless smart devices that I would have to manually repair and some of these are under floorboards etc so not an easy job.

In terms of resetting the hub, would he not need the password for this - and would resetting wipe/reset the access controls I have set in the App to block him. 

I always forget to tell him when I see him - 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

How do you turn access on/off on the via online. Every time I log on to my router to do anything like that it tells me to use the app. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Yes it is a pain I don't like using apps, with my hub if I go into advanced settings and then access control there is now only one option "pause internet access" on or off.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

If it is a neighbour he would need access to your BT Hub in order to reset it so he is obviously not doing that.

You could always speak to his parents and ask them to wipe your wireless password from his devices but there is no guarantee that he has not kept a note of the password and will just reconnect.

The only fool proof  option you have is to change the wireless password so that he can not log onto your network. 

If you are not already doing this, the best way to access the hub's management pages is using a web browser on a computer and not using an app. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

What is annoying, that the so called "pause wifi" doesn't work. As h is still online when those times are 'active' As said before, I can't change he password as have many devices that are paired with my phone and would mean lifting up floorboards and garden traps to re pair. Not an easy or quick job. It was more to make sure that he "Pause Wifi" that BT advertise to limit or stop members of the household using it was doing its job and I had set it up. I think this is a prime example that that feature does not work.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

It used to be the case that if a device was connected when the "pause" time came, it would not be kicked off the network. It only stopped devices from joining the network during the pause time. I have no idea if that is still the case.

You could try turning off the wireless signal for either the 2.4GHz signal, which is the one he will most likely be using or the both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz signal. This would stop him from using the wifi but as soon as you turned it on again his device would just reconnect. 

If it is not an option to change the password there is very little if anything that will stop him from joining your network again other than having a word with his parents to get them to wipe your password from his device but as I previously said, he may have it written down and just reconnect later.

Unfortunately this is one of the perils of handing out wireless passwords to other people. It gives them unrestricted access to your home network. If you have file sharing set up on your network I would strongly suggest that you password protect that. 

Message 10 of 23

@lddex  If I were you, I would go next door and tell the little rascal's parents what is going on. In their time of need, you helped them. That time has passed and now they need to help you. 

0 Ratings