cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Ubiquiti and BT Hub 2 for digital voice

Go to solution

Moved into a new house which has a Ubiquiti network already installed. My internet is being switch on tomorrow, but I realised the two hand pieces that come with it are digital voice. I was hoping I wouldn’t need the BT HUB or at least just use it as a access point if that’s possible. But it seems the hand pieces need the HUB to work. I’ve tried to do a bit of research to see what would be the best way to implement it into the Ubiquiti network. I found this post

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Ubiquiti-USG-with-FTTP-using-the-Smart-Hub-2-be...

However there doesn’t seem to be a clear step by step solution. I’m all new to this and don’t really know where to start. I’ve tried asking the Ubiquiti community this same question but no luck yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My equipment is listed below:

1 x UAP-AC-Pro

2 x UAP-IW-HD

Patch Panel

Modem - USG-3P

Switch -US-16-150W

Cloud Key - UCKP Gen 2 Plus

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Ubiquiti and BT Hub 2 for digital voice

Go to solution

If you want to use BT Digital Voice you will need to drop the Security Gateway and just use the Access Points and controller unless you want to double NAT

Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

All the information you need is in the thread you linked to. If you want step by step instructions for the Ubiquiti, the Ubiquiti forum is the best place.

The BT hub part is simple, nothing to configure if you set the Ubiquiti to a different subnet to the BT hub.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

We forward our DV number to one of our mobiles. BT hub no longer needed. We only kept the old landline number as DV in case somebody rings us on it. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
Would this create a double Nat? sorry this is all new ground for me. If I wanted to use the BT hub as just an access point (but also allow the phones to work), could I plug the hub into an Ethernet port outlet in the wall which is connected to the ubiquiti switch and use the other Lan ports of the hub so I could hard wire other devices
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

There are 2 ways to connect things together, LAN - WAN or LAN - LAN.

If you connect LAN - LAN you will not be double natting, the first device (BT Hub) will be doing all the routing and natting the second device (Ubiquiti) will just act as a wireless access point.

If you connect LAN - WAN, you will be double natting and creating 2 networks. Both devices will be routing and natting.

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@Mike0791 wrote:
Would this create a double Nat? sorry this is all new ground for me.

Yes if you use the USG too. You can drop the USG and just set up the Unifi Access Points.

@Mike0791 wrote:
 If I wanted to use the BT hub as just an access point (but also allow the phones to work), could I plug the hub into an Ethernet port outlet in the wall which is connected to the ubiquiti switch and use the other Lan ports of the hub so I could hard wire other devices

Unfortunately in order for Digital Voice to work the Smart Hub 2 needs to be the primary device that connects you to the Internet (creates the sessions to the BT core network). Therefore you can't put the Smart Hub 2 to act as a access point.

Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thankyou all for the clarification, it seems the easiest way is to bypass the USG. It’s just a shame having this device and not being able to use it

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

So why don’t you use the SH2, turn wireless off and connect your wireless network to that?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

That’s what I was thinking tbh, whether I could connect the ONT to the WAN port of the bt hub, then a LAN port from the hub to the WAN port of the USG. But then change the ip address of the hub and turn off the wireless so it doesn’t clash. Not sure it it will work but I might try it tomorrow 

0 Ratings