cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Vpn and slow image upload speed

Go to solution

Hello. I switched to BT couple days ago and i noticed issues i have not had with my previous ISP. My discord image upload speed is slowed down considerably to the point it takes around a minute to post a 3mb image and most importantly my VPN application is not working for me anymore since whenever i turn it on my websites do not load or load extremely slowly. Ive called the support and they reset my router settings after that did not help i was told to turn off web protect but i did not have it on in the first place. Whats interesting is that these issues do not persist on WIFI only when connected to the hub by cable. I am using a cat5 broadband cable and it was working just fine in the previous ISP hub so what could be the cause of that? Should i change any specific settings?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Vpn and slow image upload speed

Go to solution

Can you check what connection speed you actually have between hub and PC (on W10, Network Settings->Ethernet) ?

Have you a switch between hub and PC (you imply not - but just being certain)?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

Bez tytułu.png

If you mean this then suspiciously i have no traffic registered for some reason. First time im seeing something like this

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

That looks very suspicious - I have to admit I was thinking you might get a speed below 1gb/s but not zero!

Try a different Ethernet cable, though I would not be surprised if that makes no difference.

Do you have an Ethernet switch available or even an old router with multiple Ethernet ports? There have been cases whereby the autonegotiation of speed between certain devices fails and putting a switch between the two devices allows them to function.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

i do not have an old router to use unless i could use old virgin media hub that i have not returned yet. i shut the network from settings screen and put it back on and it seems the speed is normal at 1gb/s however the problem of slow image upload and no internet whilst using a vpn client persists cable change did nothing

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution
i am not using a third party router i am only using the bt hub provided by BT and it was set up by the engineer.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

I think that article pointed to be @steephill may be relevant even though it suggests the 3rd party Router as the issue. It appears to be the same Ethernet adapter as yours, and very similar symptoms.

If the Virgin media hub has multiple Ethernet ports it would be worth trying, make sure you PC is on and has an ip address from the BTHub before connecting to the Virgin hub (it may have DHCP server enabled on a different address range.  If the Virgin hub uses the same address a the BTHub you will need to change that on the Virgin hub first.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution
it has multiple internet ports but no WAN port which is the one bt HUB uses. it seems to be very outdated since it connects through an antenna like screw-in cable im gonna try that tomorrow and update how it went but im not getting my hopes up
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

I assume by Internet ports you mean Ethernet ports - exactly what is required. You connect one of the LAN ports on the BTHub to one o the Ethernet ports on your Virgin hub, then one of the Ethernet ports on your virgin hub to your PC.

Since the BTHub will be connecting to the Internet via its WAN port the Virgin hub does not need to.

0 Ratings