cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Watching BT slows my BT Broadband

I have my BTTV plugged directly in to the router, but am finding that when I watch the TV on this, the broadband slows dramatically down any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Watching BT slows my BT Broadband

What broadband package do you have?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

The issue is with the Phones and IPads, it slows down considerably.  Full Fibre 900 with BT Halo 3

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

If other devices connected by wired Ethernet show no slowdown it would suggest a WiFi limitation. Are you using a BT Smart Hub 2 with no Discs? Have you checked whether all devices are on 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

We have a disc upstairs.  How do I check what GHZ they are on

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

If you login to your router from a web browser, by default 192.168.1.254 you should be able to see all the connected devices and how they are connected. Unfortunately I have a BT Home Hub 6 o can' give you detailed instructions.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Looks like they are on both.  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I presume some are on 5GHz and some 2.4.

5 is faster but has a shorter range than 2.4 both obviously share bandwidth amongst al the connected devices.

You can download software such as "WiFi Analyzer" which you can try in various locations and it should give you an idea of WiFi strength in each location for each band. It may also detect neighbours WiFi and show if that is sharing a channel with yours, in which case it might be worth changing channels. 

I m not sure how the WiFi disc will show up or what the software will tell you  about it. If it is connected to the SH2 by WiFi you might find that moving it, or changing orientation makes a difference. Hopefully someone with with experience of that disc will comment on this thread.

I know in our study my wife gets 822Mb/s to her laptop but in our bedroom I often struggle to get WiFi but I use wired Ethernet usually. 

0 Ratings