cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Which wireless access point to use with HomeHub 5?

@rbz5416 wrote:

@gg30340wrote:

No you don't.

But we're no talking about a complete loss of signal. If the argument against using the same SSID is that the client will hold onto a weak signal & not roam, how is that same client going to now drop a weak signal in order to jump onto another SSID? If the signal is weak enough to drop a connection & jump to a new SSID, it should also be able to jump to a stronger SSID with the same name.

But I'm not sure this is helping the OP much. I stand by try it & see rather than assuming it won't work.

My last post regarding moving from one property to another was trying to point out the flaw when you said."Of course with different SSIDs you need to remember to switch the device manually each time you move between areas"

Your last post is correct and that is what I have been saying. You said that if the SSids were different you would need to change between the SSids manually which is not correct.

What I am saying is it matters not a jot if you use the same SSid or not. The devices will perform in the same manner regardless. All that having them with the same SSid is that it might give you a feel good factor because it appears that you have a continuous connection when you move between the BT hub and the Access Point and vice versa when in fact the signal must be dropped before it can pick up the new signal. 

Only a true mesh system will seamlessly switch. 

EDIT: I did not argue that you could not name both SSids the same nor did I say it would not work. I said "You will be able to change the SSid and password on them but there is really little point in changing the SSid to be the same as the BT hub because unless you have a Mesh system your device will have to drop the wireless connection from the BT hub before it would latch onto the wireless connection from the access point even if they share the same name and password".

Message 12 of 15

Put simply, with a common SSID, the device chooses which signal to connect to and cannot be overidden manually, with discrete SSIDs, the device's choice can be overidden to improve signal strength.

Personally, I prefer discrete SSIDs

It's not a question of whether it works or not, but rather of how it works.

Message 13 of 15

Thanks guys.  It looks like different SSIDs is the way to go to be sure which I'm connected to.

I would like a modern wireless access point ideally supporting both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

This looks good but is a bit pricey at £115: https://shop.bt.com/products/netgear-wifi-6-wax214-access-point-wax214-100eus-GCZN.html?refs=4294936...

If you know any better value access points then please say.  Otherwise thank you so much for your help until now.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

Have a look at the  TP Link TL-WA1201, about £39 from Amazon 

Message 15 of 15

Great thanks
0 Ratings