cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Wi-Fi EXT help needed

Hello,

Last month I plugged in an old Netgear wi-fi extender to boost coverage in the garden. It needed a software update which I couldn’t process so I ended up unplugging it and forgetting about it.

The problem now is I have my standard wi-fi showing on my networks but also the same wi-fi with EXT at the end. I can log onto both of these using the same wi-fi password which I’ve always used. As the extender is unplugged it feels like I’ve somehow created two networks on the same router, and everything appears to be running slower. I’ve opened the hub manager but only the original Wi-Fi account shows, and not the EXT one. I’m logged on the EXT one now though. 

Does anybody know how to resolve this? Hopefully I have explained it as best as I can, sorry if it sounds confusing! I’m confused myself… 🙂 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wi-Fi EXT help needed

Just delete it from your list of networks on your device.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hello.

Thanks for the reply.

By device, do you mean phone/tablet etc? I can click ‘forget network‘ on my iPhone but the problem is that it is still there in the background. I don’t know how to delete it fully, if that makes sense, and I have noticed Wi-Fi speed has reduced since the EXT has been around. 

In my head I think I’ve created a new network on the same router - is that physically possible?

Thank you!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

A Wi-Fi extender will reduce the speed considerably, as it works in half duplex. You need to use a Wi-Fi hotspot instead.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Yes, the phone/tablet etc, not sure what you mean by 'still there in the background'. You can't create another network on the hub. The extender is just a wifi repeater that takes the original SSID and appends EXT to it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

A Wi-Fi extender will reduce the speed considerably, as it works in half duplex. You need to use a Wi-Fi hotspot instead.

The OP isn't using the extender, he has removed it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thank you. How is it possible I can still log in to the EXT network even though it is unplugged?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Just remove it from the list of stored networks on your device. As it had the same SSID and password, its being remembered. The EXT bit of the SSID is being treated as the same as the main SSID, this is most likely deliberate by design.

0 Ratings