cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

WiFi 6 Disc Blue but no WiFi?

Hi all,

I have BT Fibre 500, problem is it's installed in my internal garage which effects the wi-fi signal somewhat upstairs (downstairs is fine).

In my attempts to get wi-fi upstairs I purchased a Whole Home Wi-Fi 6 Add-on disc. My router also provided wired connections to 2 ports downstairs. I connected my disc to one of these ports a solid blue light appeared and it seemed the internet was being passed through as my PC was connected directly to the disc (via ethernet) which itself was connected to the wall port, however when I tried for the disc to extend my wifi on the app it could not connect to the disc on either My BT or Whole Home app thus not extending my wifi network or provide wifi at all...

Then I read the addon disc cannot be used as a stand alone? Have I made a mistake here with this purchase is there another disc I should have purchased instead of this single addon disc? I can see BT are selling packs of 2 and 3 discs of the standard discs (no wifi 6), anyway 2 or 3 discs is a bit overkill for what I need. 

Not sure what to do here, I wanted a seemless WiFi network with one connection around my house and I thought the BT disc was the solution?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: WiFi 6 Disc Blue but no WiFi?

Those discs need a minimum of two, one connected to the home hub, and the other in a different location.

Here is a help page https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Problem-with-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi-Please-read-this-first/td-p/202...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi @Wally6   Assuming that you are using the SH2, you simply want Complete WiFi disc(s). 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Hi, yes I'm on SH2 had BT internet for about 2 months now. Complete WiFi discs? That's different to the one I've purchased, correct?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for the reply, so BT does not have a single disc solution. I need to purchase another? One to be next to my router and another around the house?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

BT do have a solution.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/complete-wifi

You can buy the discs separately, if you do not want BT to loan them.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/accessories/

Rather expensive, as you can buy a proper wireless mesh which has three discs,  for that price, 

TP Link Deco M4.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

thank you for the info, that TP Link Deco M4 looks interesting, just to confirm I could have one of them next to my router and then another in one of the ports I have and this would all be one network? Unless you can purchase the disc you linked in accessories without the hub.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

If you have the Smart Hub 2, then you could just buy one black complete Wi-Fi add-on disc for £100, and that would connect wirelessly to the Smart Hub 2. It will not work with any other ISP or any other router.

The problem is if you need more discs it starts to get expensive, which is why BT include them in their Complete WIFI Package.

The Deco M4 works out cheaper and can be used with any ISP and any modem or router. The three pack is about £105 and one connects to the SH2 using an Ethernet cable. In your case, you could connect it to one of your cables. You may find that you only need the two pack version, depending on your house layout. Devices will move from one disc to another.

You would turn off the wireless on the Smart Hub 2, to prevent any interference.

Capture.JPG

I use the M4 on a 12Mbs ADSL connection. There is a comprehensive app which you install on a smartphone.

It also has a separate guest network which can be configured for 2.4GHz or both bands. I have mine set to 2.4GHz, as many of my devices prefer 2.4GHz only.

Message 9 of 10

Thank you for the infomation.

I'm sending my Wifi 6 disc back and can you confirm when you say complete wifi black disc you mean this one and even if it says add-on disc it's actually different to the one I've purchased and can be used as a single extender?

But now tempted on the Deco

I'm thinking the BT disc will just extend my current wifi network (pro) but the Deco will be a new wifi connection (con) however as the ones i've linked are wifi 6 my wireless speeds with the Deco will be much better (pro)?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

@Wally6 

You need to remove the links to Amazon, as they are not permitted on this forum.

The Amazon is the correct one to work with the Smart Hub 2, so that may be worth a try, as you can always return it if its no good. You can wire it to Ethernet, and it will work in conjunction with the SH2.

Provided a single disc gives enough coverage, as you get a poor signal from the SH2, which may be a problem.

The Deco X55 is a top of the range system, but it would still be cheaper than having to buy two extra BT ones, and you can use it with any system.

All the Deco systems can work to a modem (default), so unless you have BT Digital Voice, you would not need the SH2. If you keep the SH2, then you would normally operate the Deco in access point mode to avoid double NAT.