cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

WiFi Extension

I have a full house system (3 mini discs) Halo 3 900mb working very well. I wish to extend it wirelessly across my garden to an outhouse 60 metres from the house. What is the best way to achieve this?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: WiFi Extension

Over that distance anything other than a ducted underground cat 6 cable to a wi-fi access point would be second best

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

You would be stretching things in trying to get a good wifi signal 60 meters from your house.  Your best way is as stated, Ethernet cable.

There is no requirement to run it under ground in a duct. You can get outdoor Ethernet cable and run it along a wall or fence as long as it is securely fixed. At the Outhouse end you would use a mini disc or a wireless access point connected to the Ethernet cable and this would then provide wifi for you in the Outhouse.

If your outhouse is connected to the same electrical consumer unit (fuse box) as your house, you could use wireless powerline adaptors. This would provide a wifi signal at the Outhouse. 

See link.

Powerline Adapters | HomePlug | Wi-Fi Extenders | BT Shop

You do not need to use BT Powerline adaptors. There are different makes available such as TP Link ones. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

I wouldn't advise that you pin the cable to a fence, there are two natural hazards which could well make you regret doing so if you did.

Not only would you run the risks of birds pecking at it but if a strong wind was to blow the fence down then your cable would go with it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I wouldn't want to meet the bird that could peck through an external Cat5E cable!!!

Message 6 of 12

I meet them everyday

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@Les-Gibson wrote:

I wouldn't advise that you pin the cable to a fence, there are two natural hazards which could well make you regret doing so if you did.

Not only would you run the risks of birds pecking at it but if a strong wind was to blow the fence down then your cable would go with it.

My Exterior grade Ethernet cable, which is fixed to a fence which was erected correctly, has been there in excess of eight years and has not had any birds pecking at it, or rodents eating it and the fence is as solid as the day it went up.

However, if you want to go to the expense and work involved in digging a channel to place ducting underground to run Ethernet cable just go for it.

As a matter of interest could you furnish details of the breed of birds that can peck through an exterior grade Ethernet cable so that I can keep a look out for them?

Message 8 of 12

@gg30340 

Feel free to educate yourself.

"Hawfinch

The UK’s largest finch can be found in mature woodland with a mix of tree species. That said, it has declined in many areas of Britain and is now one of the hardest birds to see, spending much of its time in the canopy. The hawfinch’s impressive bill is powerful enough to split open cherry stones, exerting a tremendous pressure of around 150 pounds per square-inch!"

11 Rare Birds in Britain's Woodland - Woodland Trust

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

And no doubt they can be found attacking exterior grade Ethernet cable throughout the UK.

Are they also partial to other outdoor cables such as phone lines, satellite cable, coaxial cables or is it just Ethernet?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Morning guys,

Can we keep the conversation on topic in line with the OP's question please?

Many thanks 😊

Robbie

0 Ratings