cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Gaming lag

This is driving me nuts. I have an Xbox series x hard wired to the by hub, Xbox speed test 66mb, Nat open, latency 27ms. However games are lagging. Not rubber banding but some frame rate jittering and my game seems to be 1 second behind other players. It’s impossible to enjoy playing at the moment.

I’ve tried everything I can think of, ports forward, upnp on/off, Xbox in dmz, reset Xbox, re download and install the  game. Hard reset the router and the Xbox. There’s 493gb free space on the hard drive.

I even called but to reset my connection at their end. It did nothing.

anyone else have this? Is there a fix?

thanks in advance

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Gaming lag

What game(s) are you playing?

Im a streamer from PC, and find I had a lot of Lag on Warzone, Rust and some simulator games. My internet connection is the worst as the copper wire needs replacing, and BT are needing more to even tell open Reach to replace it.

Warzone does have lag a lot of the time anyway depending on Ping, and Rust for me depends on the server Ping im connecting to.  I can only assume its your internet bandwidth. When your gaming is anything else connected and using the internet? (iPads, Netflix / Amazon, other computers) as they can cause the line to get clogged some of the time.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi BigBroGamerUK

Thanks for your reply. 

I most play Call of Duty multiplayer. More often than not my game feels behind others but over the last week, it’s become unplayable. It manifests itself as insta death, shoot first die first, missing audio, poor hit detection. 

I also noticed that hit detection in Fortnite also is bad this last week.

At times other devices connected but only light use and no more devices than usual. The lag is just as bad when nobody is issuing devices late at night. I can’t be certain but doubt that the bandwidth is congested. The lag is too consistent and lasted for over a week. 

Frustratingly there’s not much I can do with the Xbox and it’s limited settings. Also the BT hub has very limited controls and no qos. I changed DNS in the Xbox but it is not possible to change in the bt hub. Didn’t make any difference in any case. 

I found out that BT cannot or will not turn off interleaving for fibre broadband. 

I don’t know what else to try. All suggestions welcome. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

CoD and Fortnite are both bandwidth intense games. When your getting the lag, what download are you getting?

I can only purely suggest what ive been through to check connection and speed over the last 9-12 months. I can only think of internet download speed is the reason, or someone else is watching a film, downloading or doing an update in the background to cause it. 

There might also be a setting to look at in the games, have you checked on google for best game settings for console?

0 Ratings