cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

WiFi asking me to sign into network - no devices will connect

My bank had changed and my direct debit was still set up for old account so I was late paying last months bill.

I'm on the full fibre 500 with BT Halo 3 plan.

Now when I try to connect I get a message on any device asking me to sign into the network with the message below.

I first had this on Wednesday morning (3rd April) and immediately thought about my bill so I logged on before work and paid the bill in full at 7am, however still now I am unable to access any internet.

I have spoke with at least 7 different agents through live chat and the phone all telling me different things, they have tried to set up 2 engineer visits but for some reason my 'service' address is an address in London that I have never heard of and never lived in London so whenever a service appointment is made I get a phone call from an engineer saying he's outside my property when in fact he's at the other end of the country. (I've lived in York since I acquired the service 2 years ago and never changed) I've requested at least 5 times for this service address to be removed yet it still hasn't, as well as a secondary phone number on my account that has never been mine and still that is also on my account.

Was on the phone for 3 hours yesterday alone trying to resolve this, as working from home is now impossible and then when for the third time an appointment was made for the same address in London, the agent then hung up on me.

I'm on my knees here, I'm losing out on work every day as working somewhere else is not an option due to all the equipment I need for work.

Screenshot_20240406-085333~2.png

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: WiFi asking me to sign into network - no devices will connect

I don’t know if it’s always the case but my account number begins with two letters that indicate the area I’m in ( NE ) , if you are in York that is MY ( Mid Yorkshire ) , does your account number begin with MY ?, it’s possible that really old accounts like mine over 35 years have a different format to more recent accounts.

Its pretty clear that your account ( regardless of where it is York or London ) was suspended for non payment, but although you rectified that , the service hasn’t been restored so it may do so when that payment has cleared the BT systems , or you may have settled an unrelated account, so yours still is still delinquent 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

I used to live in Kent. My BT account number began with ND - standing for the old BT North Downs district.

When I moved over 100 miles away to another part of the country 12 years ago and transferred all my BT services, my account number stayed exactly the same - including the prefix.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the reply mate.

My account number begins with GB.

The postcode of the service address they have for me is NW7, I'm not familiar with London in the slightest so not sure if that correlates to that at all, but I literally haven't moved from this property in York since my service was installed 2 years ago.

I honestly have no idea how they have got this so wrong, or if that 'service address' is even causing an issue because my internet was fine before this restriction happened.

It wasn't until last night on the phone that the colleague I spoke with mentioned about the service address and contact address being different, however she said she doesn't have the power to update a service address so the latest now is that I have to wait until Monday for a team lead to call me, no idea what that is even going to do but that's going to be up to 5 days with no internet.

They also mentioned as a Halo customer they sent a mini hub previously which I should plug in so I can stay connected but I definitely haven't, so I'm assuming that has also been sent to the address in London too.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

It’s always been the case that the billing address can be different to the service address, after all if a company is paying for an employee’s service the bill may well go to the head office , so the wrong billing address isn’t necessarily  a big issue as most payments are not via postal bills , but the ‘service’ address should be the address of the installation , that makes no sense, but it seems accounts with a GB prefix presumably can be anywhere in the country.

As you are a FTTP customer your  ONT serial number should help in locating your service ,the serial obviously places you in York , so impossible for you to be connected to a PON in York while in supposedly having a London address , that fact should be recognised by the BT representative …hopefully a BT Mod may offer to investigate, otherwise it’s probably another call to BT 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Makes absolutely zero sense does it, obviously been some breach of data of some sort somewhere to get me mixed up with another customer which would explain the random secondary mobile number on my account.

Anyway another update, a BT agent I spoke with on Thursday seemed to do some kind of check on my property and confirmed my Hub was completely dead which I thought didn't seem right at the time, and sent me a new hub which arrived this morning, switched it out and exactly the same issue of course. Obviously they must be running this check at the address in London. Constantly just getting passed around between billing/tech team on the phone too with like 40 minute hold time every time.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

The problem can occur if you are connecting to the BT (now EE) Wi-Fi hotspot instead of the BT Home Hub SSID. That would be a captive portal message.

Make sure that you are actually connecting to your home hub SSID.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They will advise you by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Keith_Beddoe: Absolutely double and triple checked mate, definitely connecting to my own on both my old and new hub and getting the same message.

Gg30340: Thank you mate, I really appreciate that.

Everytime I log into my BT through the page on my original post, it takes me straight to my billing page/make a payment screen which is obviously now up to date, even chucked in another couple of quid to make it go into credit this morning just incase, i guess it's possible there is still some kind of restriction on my account too but the agents I have spoke with have said that there isn't any restriction, and they're unable to add a temporary restriction to then lift it again to see if that works apparently.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Hello, have you resolved your issue? I'm currently encountering the exact same problem.

0 Ratings