cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Wifi Discs

Go to solution

I bought a disc  for my Smart Hub 2 and it seems fine but it doesn’t show up on My BT app.  Am I right in thinking that it won’t show up if I didn’t buy it from BT as a part of the + complete wifi product/service?  I bought it from Amazon.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Wifi Discs

Go to solution

Thanks, yes it does show up my deices but not on the app.   The app offers a Hub setup but doesn’t show the discs.  Any ideas appreciated. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks. Now sorted!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Awesome! What did you do to get it sorted if you don't mind me asking? Just so I and others know in case the problem happens to us 😛

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

I feel incredibly stupid.

As the app says “YOUR wifi network” followed by “Checking your network” with a few bouncy balls to entrain you it didn’t occur to me that I had to sign into the router.  I thought MY BT and the Smart Hub were smart and mates.  I rather thought it knew.

So I signed in and it allowed me to see the disc.  I just wish it would allow me to tell my Disc to tell my PC is is barred and tells my PC to ignore it.  When my PC chats directly to the Smart Hub I get almost 300mbps down and 110 up.  It prefers the disc so it goes down to 45mbps/8mbps

I don’t understand why I can’t tell the disc to ignore it and say “My gaf …. you’re barred!”

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Ya, it's a shame that you cannot do a sort of "reverse MAC address ban", like you can do with the router side to ban a certain device from connecting to it... only it would be the PC blocking the disc itself using the MAC address, so then it would be forced to connect to the SH2 instead. 😛 (As each disc has it's own MAC just like any other device!)

At least you got it all fixed now though 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
I asked my good friend Arty (AI!) and he suggests the following. I just have to try and make sense of it!

“Yes, you can try to prioritize your PC's connection to the BT Smart Hub 2 instead of the BT Wifi Disc by blocking the MAC address of the disc on your PC. Here's a general guide on how you can do this:

Determine the MAC address of the BT Wifi Disc that you want to ignore. You can typically find this information on the device itself or in the device's settings.
On your PC, open the network settings. The process may vary depending on your operating system, but you can usually find it in the Control Panel or the Settings menu.
Locate the option to manage or prioritize wireless networks. This might be called "Manage Wi-Fi networks," "Manage known networks," or something similar.
Look for the BT Wifi Disc network in the list of available networks or known networks. It may be listed with its MAC address or the network name associated with it. Select the network.
Find an option to block or forget the network. This option is usually available when you select the network from the list. By blocking or forgetting the network, you're telling your PC to ignore that specific network.
Save the changes and exit the network settings. Your PC should now prioritize connecting to the BT Smart Hub 2 instead of the BT Wifi Disc.
It's important to note that the exact steps may vary depending on your operating system version and the specific network settings interface on your PC. If you encounter any difficulties or cannot find the exact options described above, I recommend referring to the documentation or support resources provided by your operating system or contacting BT customer support for further assistance.”

Any comments of suggestions appreciated.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I asked Arty to tell me specifically what I do in Windows 11.  he says …

“Certainly! Here's a specific guide for blocking the BT Wifi Disc network on Windows 11:

1. Click on the Start button and select the "Settings" gear icon to open the Windows Settings.

2. In the Settings window, click on "Network & internet" to access the network settings.

3. On the left sidebar, choose "Wi-Fi" to view the available Wi-Fi networks.

4. Scroll down to the "Advanced network settings" section and click on "Manage known networks."

5. Look for the BT Wifi Disc network in the list of known networks. It may be listed with its MAC address or the network name associated with it.

6. Click on the network you want to block (the BT Wifi Disc network).

7. In the network details page, click on the "Properties" button.

8. Scroll down to the "Connect automatically when in range" option and toggle it off.

9. Click on the "Forget" button to remove the BT Wifi Disc network from your PC's known networks.

10. Close the settings window.

By following these steps, you have instructed your Windows 11 PC to ignore and not automatically connect to the BT Wifi Disc network. Your PC should now prioritize connecting to the BT Smart Hub 2 instead.

If you have any further questions or encounter any difficulties, please let me know!”

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Cool, it's great that you can do that! 😮 Thanks for sharing the guide with us!!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Happy to share.

I had a quick look but I haven’t conquered it yet.  

I might have to ask Arti to pop round and do it for me 😋

0 Ratings