cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Wifi range extension

Go to solution

We have BT wifi in our apartment, which is in a large very-solid converted Edwardian mansion. There is a bookable Guest Room (some 15 meters along a straight corridor from our apartment). Visitors staying in this guest room can receive our wifi, but only just. We are wondering what would be the best way of getting good reception of our wifi there, presumably using a device that we would place there temporarily just when we have a visitor using the guest room. (It would not be possible to install anything in the corridor.) I would be grateful for suggestions as to the best approach, and recommendatinns on specific devices that we could purchase to solve this problem.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Wifi range extension

Go to solution

A cheap and simple solution would be a powerline hotspot such as https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately we are trying to connect between parts of the building that are on totally separate electrical circuits.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Buy a mobile broadband package and router. Install the router in the guest room as and when you need it.

Most if not all mobile providers offer them.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

I’d hardwire UTP to the second room. Place a wireless point (or repurposed router) in the guest room.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Hi - thanks. An interesting possibility, though I'm not sure of the economics of it for my situation. I'll investigate.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
Unfortunately I'm not in a position to be able to lay cable to the guest room. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Presumably when you say "a bookable guest room" the room is not actually your property and like wise the corridors leading from your apartment to the guest room

If that is the case it will obviously rule out running Ethernet cable from your apartment to the room and the use of powerline adaptors.

It limits what you can do.

You could try the following but because of how the discs connect to the BT Hub and depending on the distance and the thickness of the property walls it might not be an improvement on the signal that is already being received from your BT hub in guest room.

You could try moving your BT hub as close as possible within your property to the guest room or you could try getting one the following

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi | BT Shop

and place the disc into the guest room as  and when needed.

If you have the BT Smarthub you could also consider getting the BT Complete Wifi package and again place a disc into the room as and when needed.

Complete Wifi | Wifi Extender & Booster | BT

If you have a BT Smarthub 2 and do not want to change your package, the BT shop sells the discs for both of the above systems.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Hi - Many thanks for your continued interest in my problem. At the moment the solution I'm experimenting with is a TENDA  Home Mesh WiFi system. The pair of units arrived yesterday and at first seemed to work very well. Installing a mesh unit in the guest room turned a minimal (one little bar) wifi signal availability to my iPhone into a maximal (three bars) wifi signal availability! However an internet download speed test went down from 56 to 36 megabits per sec when using the mesh, though this was still categorized as very good. But since then I've started having connection problems from the iPhone with the second unit and am fairly confused as to what is going on. I've been getting "unable to join the network" and "try again later messages" though it's showing a strong signal. (You'll see from my above description I'm not an expert in these matters! 🙂

However I'm about travel to a distant funeral so it will be a few days before I can investigate further - probably by resetting everything and starting again from scratch, since I'm assuming the problem is due to something I did.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@br48 

Make sure you update the firmware on the Tenda units, as the latest firmware fixes a reported security issue on Apple wireless devices.

If you only have two units, with one connected to the home hub using an Ethernet cable, then the other unit should link itself to the first unit, and show up on the app.

You would normally run the Tenda units in bridge (access point) mode, if you are connecting to the home hub, otherwise it can cause issues.

If you are using a separate modem, then the default router mode should be fine.

0 Ratings