cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Wikipedia

Go to solution

Hi,

Not sure why but the BT router is blocking the Wikipedia web site.

I have changed browsers and retarted devices. The issue affects the directly connected PC and any phone connected by Wi-Fi. Standing in the same place and switching off wi-fi to the locla area 4g network there is no problem.... repally wifi and the issue returns.

Is there a setting on the router or My BT

Router - Home Hub 5.0 Type B

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Wikipedia

Go to solution

@GarethP   No particular setting required.

Works for me. Try accessing using :  https://www.wikipedia.org/ 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

It might be being blocked by BT Web Protect. Check that BT Web Protect has not been activated on your BT account.

To do that log onto your MyBT and go to "Your Security" and check that BT Web Protect is deactivated.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

@GarethP 

I'm on Plusnet Broadband now, but have been having exactly the same issues as you are experiencing for about 3 days now, as have a number of other Plusnet customers. Other ISPs seem to be unaffected, though I guess that those on EE might also be having issues?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Unable-to-Connect-to-Wikipedia-via-Plusnet-Broadband/t...

EDIT:

@CarlushaI can't get to https://www.wikipedia.org/

@gg30340    My PCs run Linux, so don't have BT Web Protect

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

Web protect is network based, irrelevant what operating system you use.

Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Sorry, I'm confusing it with the AntiVirus that BT supplied when I was a broadband customer.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

If you are a Plusnet customer why post here, you should be posting on the Plusnet forum where you may get help relevant to your problem.

Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Just as an aside here; when Web-Protect blocks a site or page it posts a page that tells you that it's intervened.  You'd not see anything if it blocks data to an app that isn't just using a web container, but anything else you'll know!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for all the responses, it is a weird puzzle, as any phone that uses the WiFi as link the web address bar has the (!) Circle for insecure, despite wiki being HTTPS. 

Odd that there is a security issue that affects one site and all WiFi users.

Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

@gg30340 

The link that I posted was to the thread that I started on the Plusnet forums.

I posted here because it seems to indicate that this issue is affecting BT Group customers, rather than just BT Broadband or Plusnet.

I'm an ex-BT customer, (and employee of 38 years), so occasionally still visit these forums - is that not allowed?

0 Ratings