cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

smart hub 2 dns settings

Go to solution

Hi.

Have BT deactivated the DNS area in the hub 2?

Reason i ask is i cannot see the set DNS Servers Auto to 'No'.
This will then show a field for Primary and Secondary servers for you to enter.

what so ever.

Thanks.

Karl.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: smart hub 2 dns settings

Go to solution

@karln 

The DNS settings cannot be changed. That is to ensure that the home hub always uses BT DNS servers.

You can of course alter the DNS settings on individual devices.

Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Ok...I have a Tado bridge that won't connect. Tado tech support want me to change the DNS settings (not Dynamic DNS) Does this mean I can't change these ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

You can't change them on the hub, no idea if you can change them on the Tado bridge.

I would be extremely surprised if the problem is due to DNS in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

I agree but I'm at the mercy of Tado "Technical Support" It's not getting assigned an IP address. I have connected it to a friends Virgin Hub with the same result but weirdly, if I plug it into the port on a tp-link extender, it gets an IP that shows in the wifi list.

(The quotation marks are deliberate !)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

@Oliver2 wrote:

It's not getting assigned an IP address. I have connected it to a friends Virgin Hub with the same result but weirdly, if I plug it into the port on a tp-link extender, it gets an IP that shows in the wifi list.

(The quotation marks are deliberate !)

That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with DNS.

Try turning off the 5Ghz WiFi on the hub and see if it connects. Once it does, turn the 5Ghz back on again.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

What's the whole story? Is the Tado new, the SH2 new, both, neither?

First thing to try is another ethernet cable & make sure you're not using LAN 4 on the SH2. Or if you must, make sure that the SH2 isn't in FTTP mode. Also make sure that DHCP is enabled on the SH2.

There's other troubleshooting info here, including what the LEDs tell you about the status of the connection.

But as @licquorice says, one thing that isn't causing your problem is the DNS servers.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply but no change turning the 5Ghz off.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

Hi, Thanks for the reply,

It is a new Tado bridge bought through Amazon a couple of weeks ago. The BT hub 2 is around a year old and the firmware was updated a month ago.

I have used different cables, proven the port by connecting a laptop through ports 1,2 & 3 when on FFTP and also switched off FFTP and tried all ports again. DHCP is enabled.

I followed the link hoping for inspiration but my heart soon sank as I have spent hours following their instructions with no luck. (resetting it, turn off Smart Set Up etc)   The thing that frustrates me is I can tell that the Tado tech is just reading from his script hoping I will go away. (not going to happen)

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Given that it didn't work on the Virgin Hub either or with a factory reset, I'd suspect it's faulty. It wouldn't be the first time that Amazon have "accidentally" resold a returned product.

What can you glean from the LED patterns? They should tell you if it's seeing a physical connection to the SH2 & if it's failing to obtain an IP address. Given that it worked on the extender I suspect a DHCP issue.

Google did throw up a suggestion to reserve an IP address within the router by assigning one to the Tado's MAC address. But i don't know if the SH2 can do that.

0 Ratings