cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

TNT Sports Ultimate

Anyone else notice a drastic downgrade in quality from BT Sport Ultimate to TNT Sport Ultimate? Games don’t even look 4K anymore, almost like 1440p. Looks like Atmos is missing again from the Newcastle-Man Utd game. Price is the same but there’s a clear downgrade in quality between the old service and new service. I have a game recorded on my box pro from BT Sport Ultimate and the picture is crystal clear compared to what we’re getting served up on TNT Sports.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: TNT Sports Ultimate

A big factor for me is the HDR aspect of it. They use HDR10, which for live, changing elements such as Sport, is dire. HLG would bring a whole new level of the quality. Was watching the Liverpool match on Thursday on Ultimate (Via D+) and it looked good, but you always notice the difference compared to 4K HLG broadcasts, which look stunning.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Curious incident the other night, I was watching Apple TV and my 4k show went from excellent quality to fuzzy felt vision. I checked what was running and my computer was backing up. If I paused the backup the quality came back.

Weird thing is the backup was 4mb/s up stream. I am on 150 down and 20 or so up. Not sure why the impact on the upside when it was a few kb/s down.

I ran the automated quality check from the router menu link and told there is an external fix to be done, told it should be completed soon, vol job number issued as well. Checked with apple 4k and BBC UHD on the weekend they are good now. Will look in next rugby. But didn't notice on the weekend (post automated fix but I didn't have my quality control head on and weather was a tad damp).

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

I don't know if anyone can relate to this, but on the Saturday last week (weekend of the aforementioned Newcastle v ManU game) I noticed a juddery effect (both during the promos and during the live feed itself - content was the Bristol v Gloucester Gallagher Premiership match) in terms of the visual feed when watching via 465 on BT TV Box Pro HD and significant reduction in bandwidth which prompted me to call tech support who confirmed speed significantly down on what should reasonably be expected.

Following an engineer's appointment this morning I notice that the 'motion blur' still persists on Ultimate but HD remain unaffected. Download speed back to minimum guaranteed speed.

I did wonder if it was something to do with the MCR at WBD's main playout centre which was the cause. 

I have sent a message to @DarrenDev but no reply as yet (early days, but I'm wondering if I have sent it to the correct thread as I addressed it to him directly).

If anyone can relate to this issue or can explain it I would be grateful.

Kind Regards

Chris OReilly 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

I have also noticed several occasions when live content is not being presented in Atmos/7.1 like during Premier League Live games via the Ultimate channel on 465...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Yep. It’s happening too often. Idk what they say games are not shown in 4K res anymore. Deffo looks like an upscaled 1440p. Compare it with sky sports uhd (I know it has the HLG hdr which helps) it’s night and day difference in terms of sharpness of image.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

I don't claim to be an expert on the individual formats but I think the BT Pro HD boxes are supposed to be using HDR BT.2020 format which seems a lot brighter and sharper than Sky's UHD content when viewing matched etc via its own Sky Q box. From what I have read and understand, HDR BT.2020 supposedly maximises the 4K quality it is possible to receive

If anyone can break down the technical aspects of this I'd love to know more about it and am happy to be corrected in my assumptions!

Kind Regards,

Chris OReilly 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

BT use HDR10 which is **bleep** for sport. I have an LG OLED and on sky sports the HDR (HLG format) really adds to the picture quality. With BT I’ve always preferred to watch it without HDR as it doesn’t do much for me.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Yes, i don't know why they don't continue to actively promote the Ultimate channel as was the case with the BT Sport 'network' of stations. I can only think they are trying to do a hard-sell on d+, but I don't think that will have any bearing on the channel itself in the future.

In my opinion BTTV having a dedicated 4K UHD channel is something it should play to its strengths; I find the idea of having to switch between HD and UHD on Sky Sports cumbersome at times, as well as being ineffective depending on whether content from its 'flagship' channels is being simulcast.

I just wish there was more UHD content on Ultimate, though I think I know why it's mainly restricted to programmes where the feed originates from the host broadcaster.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Yes, I have noticed that my TV registers it as such however for me I think the picture I receive on Ultimate is much clearer and brighter than anything I get when watching football in UHD via my Sky Q box. I recognise the basic versions of the HDR formats and the hybrid one which I think the BBC uses but also understand that, together with HDR10, BT.2020 apparently optimises the 4K colour range aspect. And to me there is a notable difference between watching football via the interactive UHD and viewing on my BTTV Box Pro.

0 Ratings