cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: TNT Sports Ultimate

Watching TNT Sport Ultimate via Sky Stream with HLG as the HDR codec and the picture quality is outstanding and on a par with Sky Sports UHD with HLG... 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

I think you're right in that the Sky Sports UHD picture is sharper but I think there's more colour when watching via Ultimate. Has anyone compared or noticed any contrasts between picture quality of UHD content on Ultimate Vs d+?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

I received your message @everybodyhatesChris but it's not my area of expertise. You mention judder, which usually implies a frame rate mismatch between the content and the display. Broadband speed doesn't affect any of the channels (they'll either play, or they won't - there's no adaptive quality), so that definitely isn't related.
Note: if you run a speed test when tuned to a multicast channel, you WILL see a drop in broadband speed as a portion of your line is dedicated to delivering the video.

Content quality is so incredibly subjective, and every device combination can cause different results. I therefore don't get involved in discussions like that anymore.

Regarding HDR10 vs HLG, it was a conscious choice when we created BT Sport Ultimate a long time ago as it provides the greatest device coverage in the UK.
Message 14 of 20

Thanks for your reply, and also for your advice in terms of Ultimate. There is definitely still an intermittent frame mismatch on channel 465.

As I recall the HDR10 was introduced first and widely adopted by the industry some time before Hybrid Log Gamma became the format of choice in broadcasting. Not that HLG is necessarily an improvement on HDR10 as they both appear to have their pros and cons, but given that there is no industry standard it's probably unfair to draw comparisons between respective broadcasters and their live coverage of UHD games.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Oh i couldn't disagree more. HLG leaves HDR10 for dust with its usability and its quality. Watching the 4K HLG stuff on iPlayer such as Wimbledon was stunning, as was the Coronation; the pictures were vibrant and life-like. HDR10 isn't that at all, and is being phased out by its better brother, HDR10+, which is alot closer to what HLG is, which is adaptive, like Dolby Vision, whereas HDR10 isn't, its static and doesn't change with each scenic reference.

As for industry standard, the vast majority use HLG, because of what it brings to the table, something HDR10 never did and never will.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Getting set up for the rugby and the footy is looking fine on 4K. What I expect.

Back to the rugby then (mutters and grumbles about footy taking up 4k.....)

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

I have the Liverpool game on at the moment. Main camera blurry again lol 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Nail biter with Exeter.

Quick shufty post match over and replays look good.

Camera 1? That will be fed to many 3rd party takers who will complain if it is off. So it very unlikely t be that. And a mass complaint seeing as that used a lot by how many subs?

I have all post processing off on my TV.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

(mutters and grumbles about footy taking up 4k.....)

Agreed. No reason why Discovery+ can't deliver the 4K feed from both the Xtra Time and Rugby, same with clashing UCL matches in mid-week.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Technically they can get a pipe to your house so you get it no compression (there will be issues).
There will be reasons, I accept them. Budgetary, in network, link budgets and all that then cost and so on. Got the Bath match 4k. So happy bunny. Not losing any sleep over it.
0 Ratings