cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Full fibre

Will all bt customers eventually be connected by full fibre?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: Full fibre

@Speedway1 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Residential phone and broadband customers.

Its Openreach, not BT, that decides on the future network.

Copper is going to be around for a very long time.

Message 3 of 26

that will depend on openreach providing Fibre connections to the home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 26

Thanks Kieth. Virgin have knocked at my door and offered me immediate connection so I am a bit confused. However I am now becoming very tempted.
Message 5 of 26

@Speedway1 

Virgin use their own infrastructure.

Message 6 of 26

What’s confusing ? , there are dozens of networks in competition with each other, Virgin is one of many  , some areas will have FTTP available from other networks before Openreach provides its own FTTP , and as BT will only ever use Openreach, unless OR FTTP is available , then BT FTTP won’t be either ,  if an individuals  need or desire is to have FTTP ASAP  , then obviously it’s not a confusing choice , if the FTTP network provider that is available doesn’t appeal to you ,( for whatever reason ) then you could wait until Openreach FTTP is available, how long the wait may be is impossible to say

Message 7 of 26

What's confusing is that when the Virgin installers were in our area the engineers told me that they "piggyback" of of Open Reach's network. 

Message 8 of 26

They are obviously not very bright then , to give them a little credit what they probably mean is that Virgin are allowed to leech onto the Openreach network of ducts and jointboxes using PIA ( physical infrastructure access ) to get their own fibre cables etc into areas they previously didn’t serve …it’s not reciprocal though Openreach cannot use Virgin network assets in areas where VM have ducts and boxes, so it would  appear that before Openreach can use their own assets to provide FTTP in your location , Virgin have got in first 

Message 9 of 26

Looking at the state of some of Virgin`s cabinets, I would not expect Openreach to use them.

However locally, Sky have been using Virgin Media`s network ducts and junction boxes, to install their Sky Glass fibre using Avonline Networks as their contractor. I wonder if they have been given permission to do that?

They dig the fibre cable into the grass.

Message 10 of 26

Thanks Kieth, From where I am sitting the whole thing just appears to be a complete and utter mess and I cannot make up my mind which way to jump. I do know for certain though that if I go to Virgin I will be making a substantial saving.