cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Raising an ORDI Request - Silver address

Go to solution

Hi @NeilO,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if you're still on this forum and if you might be able to help me?

I moved into a house that had BT broadband a few weeks ago which, naturally, the previous owner cancelled. I then found that it was impossible to get the same kind of broadband for myself, even though the wires are clearly all in place. The set up is fibre to the cabinet, and then copper wire to the house - speeds of about 20-30Mbps when I checked.

I contacted OpenReach and was told that the property is a 'Silver address', and that I need to 'request an ORDI' and get it reclassified as a 'Gold address', and that then I would be able to buy broadband. The whole idea that any homeowner should be faced with this kind of nonsensical jargon is probably a thread topic in its own right...

OpenReach said I need to ask BT to do this, and after a few attempts I eventually managed to get through to a really helpful guy at BT who said he'd sorted it. That was yesterday, but sadly things are unchanged today, so I don't know if maybe something went wrong. Unfortunately I also don't know what department he was in - I got put through from the tech support team, who initially said they couldn't help.

Anyway, I came across this thread via Google, and wondered if you might be able to advise?

Hope you (or anyone else reading this) can help... please

Thanks,

Martin

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

RE: Raising an ORDI Request - Silver address

Go to solution

you would need to place an order with BT Retail for broadband before any ORDI if required was raised with openreach.  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Unfortunately if I do that the only option on the table is copper-wire-only broadband, with speeds of 1-3Mbps, because that's all the database says we can get. Not massively keen on signing up for 12 months of that at BT's prices just to get something corrected that shouldn't even be wrong in the first place.

I suppose I could pretend to sign up and then cancel as soon as it starts working - there must be a 14 day cooling-off period, right? - but that feels a little disingenuous to me.

Fundamentally it shouldn't be this way.: the wiring is all there, and the broadband was working just a couple of weeks or so ago, so nothing has physically changed. It's just an error in the information maintained by OpenReach. I really feel that it shouldn't be this much effort to sort it out. Certainly trying to sort this while also doing my day job is proving quite stressful.

Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

only your ISP can request openreach to update their data base for a customer  - if you want to place your order with a different ISP then they should be able to place an ORDI with openreach

if you enter your address then this will show connection options available to you

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @imjolly ,

Thanks for getting back to me, but I think I'm probably not explaining myself very well...

That site you pointed me to, that's the data that's incorrect. My address comes up with a XX at the end, and if I click it I get a message that says "Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker."

It was doing that search that lead me to contact OpenReach, and get the instruction to contact BT to make an ORDI request, silver address etc etc

I just want to get BT to correct the data about my address, because it's wrong.

Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

unless you are a BT Retail customer then they cannot raise an ORDI with openreach for non customers

Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

So you see how this seems designed to drive me to insanity?

I can't sign up to broadband because the database is wrong. I can't get the data changed because I'm not signed up to broadband.

Utterly ridiculous that it's this hard. Demonstrative of a completely broken system, I would say.

(It also begs the question why OpenReach said I should contact BT!)

Message 8 of 12

Re: RE: Raising an ORDI Request - Silver address

Go to solution

Hi @Sitting_on_hold

Welcome to the BT Community and thank you for your posts!  I have moved your posts to start your own thread discussion.

I am sorry for the problems you're having placing an order for broadband.  I can appreciate how frustrated you're feeling due to all this.  I understand the message you're seeing when you're searching your address on the broadband availability checker.  I know it's only showing as an ADSL (Copper) service being available.

As you don't have active service with us we would be unable to raise an ORDI request.  Your best bet would be to place an order for line and copper broadband.  What will happen is that during the line activation process the routing will be updated in the background to reflect all the services available and the checker will then be updated.  Do you want to place an order on our website and we can then help upgrade you to FTTC once that order has completed?

We can personally manage this from here until everything is installed to your satisfaction.  You can place an order here >> BT Broadband packages <<

Post back and let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Robbie

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @RobbieMac 

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be honest, I'd much rather have the opportunity to shop around for the best deal. BT seem to be the most expensive service provider by quite a long way, and I thought the whole idea with broadband these days was that various providers could sell you the service, delivered via the same lines. Was with Virgin in the last place, which is obviously a different kettle of fish.

Also, I have to be honest and say that the fact that this is (as far as I can tell) BT's fault (i.e. the address should have been correctly designated when the previous owner was paying for broadband) doesn't make me incredibly eager to give them my business. Feels a bit like being held to ransom, you know? BT are the cause, and also the only ones who can fix it, just as long as I give them my money. Doesn't sit amazingly well with me, I have to say.

I feel that a decent business would rectify the problem first, and try to win my business afterwards.

Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

If you want to place your business with another ISP then they should follow the same procedure outlined by @RobbieMac   then  new ISP should then be in a position to send ORDI to openreach to correct your details.  The choice is yours but there is nothing BT Retail can do as you are not a BT customer