cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Windows 10 or Windows 11??

Go to solution

Hi,

I know this isn't specifically BT related but I don't know where else to ask this question.

As Windows 10 can now be updated to Windows 11 has anyone any experience with this new OS??

Is it worth updating now or waiting a bit longer until all the bugs are fixed??

Ta Kindly, your comments are greatly appreciated!

x x x

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Windows 10 or Windows 11??

Go to solution

I've been running W11 for a little over a year with no major issues. But also no major improvements over W10.

As always there's the annoyance of things having moved & appearances changed for no apparent benefit. But as with all major releases, you get used to it soon enough. In summary, it didn't annoy me enough to roll back but nor did I find it compelling to upgrade. Best bet is probably to look at the many reviews of the latest features & see if anything is particularly desirable for you.

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

If it ain't broke don't fix.

Not wishing to sound patronising, although it will no doubt sound that I am,  by the time you are having to ask if it is worth the "upgrade" it would suggest that you are what would be classed as a basic user, the same as myself and the vast majority of Windows users.

Don't fall for the usual Windows hype.

If your computer is doing everything you want it to and you are happy with it, stick with what you have until Microsoft do their usual and force you to upgrade which they only do to earn more money from the computer manufactures that install Windows on new computers, so that they can keep their revenue stream coming in.

Remember when Microsoft brought in W10. " This will be the last Windows incarnation. It will have updates every year".....  No more W11 or W12 etc.  That didn't last long.... and the reason, it was a poor business model which restricted their revenue stream. 

Don't be conned.

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Windows 11 has already been out for a year so the initial teething bugs have been fixed.  I’ve been running Windows 11 Pro on three new build machines for a year now and it’s no more buggy than Windows 10.

Outwardly there are few changes, most of the changes are internal and security related.  These come about because of improvements in hardware, hence the new version and the tighter hardware requirements.  (The idea that MS could infinitely update the existing version was never realistic, as hardware changes, and Windows 10 has been out 7 - 8 years now so it's had a good run).

Windows 10 is under extended (i.e. security) support until October 2025 so there is no rush and a lot of industry hasn’t updated yet.  That having been said, if your hardware fully supports it, why not?  A lot depends on your level of experience.  If it’s going to cost you money or inconvenience then stick with Windows 10 until you update your equipment.

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you all 👍 your feedback has been great!

I think I'll stick with Windows 10 for now even though since the 'update' last week my laptop has been running slower than a dead hamster  🙄😤

Merry Christmas🎄🎄🎄

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Weird! I went with the flow and allowed the update to Windows 11 several months ago. I immediately found everything loaded faster. This surge applied especially to start-up and also to my Edge Browser which loads with 13 active tabs.

I have yet to come across anything to complain about!
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I'm in the process of replacing my Windows 8.1 laptop with a new Windows 11 model so will be unable compare 10 and 11. However, a friend whose judgement I trust, made the move via Windows 10 and says that 11 is way better than 10.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hi,

Coming from the tech background and working with Microsoft systems my whole life, Windows 11 is unstable at the moment coming from driver issues or software issues, I'd recommend staying with Windows 10 for a few more months until they get the kinks out. 🙂

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@GradientWizzard wrote:

Windows 11 is unstable at the moment coming from driver issues or software issues, I'd recommend staying with Windows 10 for a few more months until they get the kinks out. 🙂

True, but I received a critical update soon after activation which seems to have removed the bugs.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I would stick with Windows 10 until support ends for it in 2025, then upgrade to Windows 11. However specifications are different to run Windows 11 and you may need to switch on TPM, (trusted platform module) on older machines, as Windows 11 needs this switched on to run. 

If you copy and paste this link it will tell you more.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications?r=1

Hope this helps 😃