cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 201 of 433

Re: BT TV Box Pro - comments/questions

I've checked the release notes, and Voice Control has intentionally been removed from the Pro box. I don't know if it's temporary, or a permanent thing given that the remote control has a mic in it and will take voice commands in a future update.
0 Ratings
Message 202 of 433

VirginMedia's V6 and 360 boxes both passthru the supplied frame rate. Really useful on Amazon, Youtube and Netflix.

Also an option on the V6 - is that you can follow the resolution.  So a 2160p channel will output at 2160p - and a 1080i channel will output at 1080i and allow the tv to upscale.

The SkyQ box will also allow the user to set either 50Hz or 60Hz for the apps to help prevent frame jumping.

@DarrenDevwrote:
Yes - Atmos plays fine from Netflix on the Pro box.

I've never seen a device that offers a native/pass through option for video scaling - I'm not even sure what video standard would be available to pass through like that. It's available for audio though.

I've never had any issues with the upscaling, but YMMV.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 203 of 433

OK, so matching framerate is there as an option (although not sure what content actually uses it - as discussed, Netflix didn't want this option enabled on the box).
Matching resolution - I'd be interested to know how many use that and have a good experience with it.
0 Ratings
Message 204 of 433

Sky opted to fix the output resolution - and that is an option with VirginMedia too.    This option would not be important for most users.   It just gives you the option to upscale with the box or the tv. VirginMedia also allow you to pick and choose resolutions.

So on VirginMedia - I say I want all videos to be output at either 1080i, 1080p or 2060p.  So 1080 is pass-thru and the tv upscales to 2160. Anything below 1080 the VM box upscales to 1080 and the tv upscales to 2060.  A 2060 source like BT Sport Ultimate is pass-thru at 2060. I find the VM upscaling not as good on their box as my tv can do.

The frame rate is important as a picture stutter every couple of seconds makes hard viewing.  Most UK stuff is at 50Hz and most US stuff is either 24Hz or 60Hz.  Some stuff goes out at 25Hz.

A really useful test on Netflix is the series 'Test Patterns - https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80018499

It is a collection of videos at different resolutions and different frame rates.

@DarrenDevwrote:
OK, so matching framerate is there as an option (although not sure what content actually uses it - as discussed, Netflix didn't want this option enabled on the box).
Matching resolution - I'd be interested to know how many use that and have a good experience with it.

Message 205 of 433

Thanks for the replies.

Glad to know i didn't imagine the pass through resolution existing elsewhere. I'm not expecting it to be an option on the Pro box now, but hopefully the upscaling will be as good as my tv or near enough for it not to matter if i leave it on 4k output.

Anyway, i've pulled the trigger on the upgrade so i'll find out soon enough..

0 Ratings
Message 206 of 433

@DarrenDev  Hi Darren, do you have an update on the sound issue fix?

I had a call logged with the HD, which was being owned by a techie, and replacment box due to be sent. This was then cancelled by someone else who sent out a Home Tech Engineer who agreed there was an issue with the box trying to sent out everything in Dobly regardless of source. He was unable to test with a swapout as he didn't have a Pro Box on the van. I'm now in limbo. Switching between surround/stereo is becoming a tedious workaround.

0 Ratings
Message 207 of 433

There was an update last week to confirm there is an issue with some channels (message 189).

I would not expect a fix soon. Had the box here for a couple of months and not seen one formware update.

0 Ratings
Message 208 of 433

The issue with audio on some channels coming out of all speakers is an encoding one, so any fix would be at the content source without a firmware update being required. It only affects content where the source is only stereo, and the encoder is incorrectly adding virtual surround. It's still being investigated, with some encoding trials scheduled for Tuesday to identify exactly what is causing it. One comment that has been made is that: "whilst it's accepted that the same audio is being output on all channels, it is being output at different levels. On a properly calibrated amp, the rear channels should be nearly imperceptible". The recommendation is to re-run the calibration on your amp (using the calibration mic usually supplied with it) to check levels.
I'm aware that this is quite a contentious statement, and a very subjective opinion - please only take it as a recommendation, not a criticism. They're working to fix it regardless.

The issue with audio always being output as DD+ is currently classed as "by design", so won't be changed any time soon I'm afraid.
0 Ratings
Message 209 of 433

Thanks for the update Darren, appreciated as ever.
If, as you say, it's working as designed, then personally I'd say it's a poor design. My Apple TV 4k box switches audio and visual to match content seamlessly. Oh well, I'll continue flip-flopping stereo/surround.
0 Ratings
Message 210 of 433

@DarrenDev Thanks for the update, I think the big issue here is why is it by design when the supposedly lesser spec box (T4000) can output in the correct method and satisfies all. Why change a design that works perfectly, taking choice away is never a good thing.