cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

FTTP Speeds

Hi,
We recently had FTTP installed and ordered Fibre 2. So far, it's been rock solid at the advertised 74Mb down and 20Mb up,  but I was under the impression that BT had to order the openreach wholesale 80/20 package as listed here, and that the 74/20 would be an advertised average speed but we could potentially get 80/20 and not 74/20. Is this not the case?
Thanks for any replies!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: FTTP Speeds

Are you sure you have FTTP.  Do you something like this in your home

ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

If not then you have FTTC - fibre to can and copper to your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly.

We definitely had FTTP installed - got a new CSP and ONT put in just last week (see photos)! We ordered "Fibre 2" because it was only an extra £2 a month compared to our previous package.

IMG001 - 2020_08_11 17_02_33.jpgIMG002 - 2020_08_11 15_33_38.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

the speeds quoted for fibre 2 of 80/20mb are connection speeds not download speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Openreach Sell Sync Speeds to CP’s. 40/10, 55/10, 80/20, etc.

CP’s we’ll you, the End User Throughput Speeds. Your throughput Speed will never match your Sync Speed, hence why they sell it as 36meg, 76meg, etc.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Hi, I assume what you mean by connection speed is the connection speed to the Smart Hub? In the web admin interface it says the WAN link speed is 1000 Mb, as I'd expect as this is the connection from the ONT to the Router.

When I run a speed test through the admin page I get 74Mb to the hub - the same as I get through any other speed test site.

My main question is - is it normal to be 6Mbit short on the 80/20 tariff due to overhead, or is there a special tariff that BT provides that's 74/20?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

How are you measuring your speed ?,
With ADSL/VDSL the router stats would show the max achievable line speed and the sync speed , the max achievable could be greater than the speed being paid for ( so the sync rate effectively capped at 40/55/80 ) or the sync rate could be much less mainly due to the distance from the cab.
With FTTP the distance isn’t an issue , so the ‘sync’ speed should always be whatever you pay for , throughput is always going to be less , 74Mb is not the sync speed just minimum speed that should always be achievable, if speed tests always show 74Mb , that presumably is just a coincidence, try testing at an off peak time.
The router doesn't show the ‘sync’ speed as it’s not really necessary, pay for 80Mb , the port speed should be set at 80Mb.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Hi, I've been measuring my speed via speedtest.net, fast.com, bt wholesale and the smart hub's admin page.

Your last sentence is exactly what I'd expect - if we do actually pay for 80 - and not 74 - then I would expect to the able to test at over 74 at least once, even if at non-peak times. However, I've never seen more than 74, even in the middle of the night/early hours of the morning.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@iniltous  The router does show sync speed. 1000Mb, the sync speed to the ONT. It cannot show sync speed to the port as that data is held by the ONT, just as used to happen with FTTC using a modem and router.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Great I cant wait to see the results been waiting a month after many missed and messed about appointments
0 Ratings