cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Running a Chromecast (gen3) with smart hub 2 amd essentials 300 extender

Hey everyone.

Just bought a Chromecast and having trouble settings it up. I get all the way through the set up process, but then when I go to use the Chromecast it says its set up but unavailable. I'm running it from a bt essentials 300 extender running off a smarthub 2.  I've gone through all the basic fixes it suggests and now its asking me to change settings on my hub and do stuff with access points (i have no idea what it all means). Can someone talk me through it please I'm a bit of a newb.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Running a Chromecast (gen3) with smart hub 2 amd essentials 300 extender

Hi @b0wleyj0 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, what settings is the Chromecast asking you to change?

Thanks
Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Apparently I need to deactivate ap / client isolation? Ive been googling and Apparently its quite common to have issues running Chromecast of BT hubs/extenders, most people find turning of the smart setup option fixes the problem but that hasn't worked for me. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi @b0wleyj0, thanks for posting back. I've had a look and found that 'If you are attempting to connect through a Wi-Fi extender, please check your extender settings. You will need to disable AP isolation on your Wi-Fi extender before setting up Chromecast to work with your Wi-Fi network.' 

In that case, I would suggest getting in touch with the Essentials 300 Extender product helpdesk. You can call on: 0808 100 6116 (Mon to Fri 9am to 5.30pm, Sat 9am to 2pm) or drop them an email to: btconnectedhome@bt.com

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Chromecast works by broadcasting a message on your network and waiting for devices to respond. I've found that BT Hubs occasionally seem to just stop sending that message around, and need a reboot to wake it up again.
In your position, the first thing I would do is reboot your hub, extender, phone and Chromecast - all at the same time.
0 Ratings