cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 41

Re: Slow FTTH Speeds

Thanks for the tips, here’s what I’ve tried which hasn’t seemed to have worked.

Using difference routers; first and ASUS RT-AC88U, second was Edge Router X, and my finally TP-Link R605 which I’m using now with the full Omada Cloud. (All were setup with hardware offloading, and disabling IPv6)

Since looking on the forum here i also picked up a good tip to try plugging a computer directly into the ONT. I’ve tried a normal windows Laptop (IBM ThinkBook Carbon X), and the latest MacBook. I just tried what you guys have suggested too and reset all connections and made sure all devices drivers were up to date which they were.

The speed has been consistently lower than provisioned across all these devices, but strangely quite a wide variance for a fibre connection ranging between 350 and 600. Probably too many variables though i think to start the investigation there.

I’ve tried a range of speed test to compare, trying to find the ones that are less optimised for a fair test.  I’ve used fast.net which gives the best result but i suspect is the most optimised (that has come in a few times at around 660, if i use speedtest.com it’s around 470.

The speedtest built into Omada Cloud looks like this over the last week.

2CD9C652-17FB-4970-9E10-C12E4C467D87.jpeg

Could it be that my ONT box is quite old and even been onsite through a large refurbishment, i guess probably not but running out of ideas 🙂 

Happy to try some other things?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 41

Something still feels a bit off, while web testing speeds fast.com, ookla seem to have kinda gotten back to normal (880Mbps) game client downloads, Steam, GOG, Game pass download still seem to be capped at like 30MB/s  when they should be around 95MB/s+ in normal circumstances.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 41

@ theukbest

have you ever had 900+ since your upgrade or has it always been like this?

i assume you used to have 330mb since the upgrade if that's the case i can see theirs been slight increase but not enough to warrent the full 900+.

Maybe also worth trying new ethernet cable to see if this does anything.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 41

@ h3x1e

yeah game pass don't always give the full bandwidth most of the time, i often to get those speeds averaging but on a few occations i can get around  95MB-120MB on their servers.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 41

Yeah GamePass is pretty terrible but Steam is usually always on point at 95MB/s+ but im gimped at like 30MB/s right now.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 41

@jamie1985  I haven’t ever had higher than what I’m sharing now, even since the upgrading my package and never got close to 900

I did try changing the network cable actually too, hoping that might be it but I didn’t see a change- i bought this one 

UGREEN Ethernet Cable, Cat 7 Gigabit Lan Network RJ45 High-Speed Patch Cord Flat 10Gbps 600Mhz/s STP Compatible with Raspberry Pi 4, PC, Game Console, PS5, PS4, Switch,Modem,Smart TV,Patch Panel (2M)

Thoughts?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 41

@Theuksbest 

I bought a couple of those cables and it didn't change anything mate.

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news. 😋

It's now sat redundant with the Smart Hub 2. 😂

Honestly CAT-5e is plenty for 1Gb, trust me I have tried it.

CAT-7 Cable.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 41

Yeah as busterboy1 has said i would not bother getting another ethernet.. cat7 wil just perform exaclty the same as cat6.

I would however see about getting ethernet gig usb adaptor to see if this does help with your download speeds, you could get 1 out of amazon... and if it does not solve the problem their refund proccess is really good.

Its frustrating not getting the speeds you should be getting though. Hopefully you get this sorted out sooner rather than later.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 41

@jamie1985 

I would however see about getting ethernet gig usb adaptor to see if this does help with your download speeds, you could get 1 out of amazon... and if it does not solve the problem their refund process is really good.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Save yourself some time and money.

After reading your suggestion I remembered I bought one of these so just tried it for the very first time.

Useless and no good for the 900/110 package at all. 

Worst speeds I have ever had since my install. 😞

USB LAN ADAPTER.jpgUSB Ethernet Speed test.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 41

@jamie1985 & @busterboy1  thanks guys, agree about the cable, it’s over kill but I was jus trying to eliminate the cable as the problem completely.

My thinking now though is if every device I plug into the ONT is giving me more or less the same performance - is it not more likely now a problem with the ONT or something else upstream, maybe even some settings or profile mismatch on BTs side? 

3 different routers, two types of laptops etc are unlikely to all be wrong - not sure how to capture the problem in a way that would allow BT to investigate more

Is it worth opening a ticket without any data other than what I’ve tried already... 

0 Ratings