cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 29

Re: Smart Hub 2 open wifi request.

Hi V_Meldrew 

This does not apply on me. I was on old contract and equipment belongs to me if you read the email which they have issued when they changed the terms and conditions you will see it there. 

And this has nothing to do with this case anyway. 
Well because there is not any solution I will have to leave it and get me some different router such an non eco friendly option and waste of time really because there is no option to change it. 
All the best to you all.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 22 of 29

I'm not trying to be funny but you missed the point of my post.

In message 15, you wrote"You should warn people about this feature in advance", anyone joining BT since 13 Dec 2019 will be subject to that clause, so there's nothing further to warn them about.

Best wishes

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 29

Again you missed the point I was with BT before dec 2019 and sorry they should really make it clear and give you the option to disable it on device.Again this is wrong way to force customers to have something what they do not want and I can give you guarantee that lots of customers does not have a clue about this even when it is in terms and conditions. And what is even more funny read this when we talking about this feature: This is from BT terms and conditions: 10. You may opt out of the free BT Wi-Fi service at any time, but if you do this you will lose your unlimited free wi-fi access. Ok when it clearly say ANY TIME then I want to opt out then simple NO?
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 29

As you are no doubt aware, the BT hub is a mass produced product made for the masses of BT customers to be used on the BT ISP's broadband network and the hub has limited scope for users to intervene in its settings.

This is pretty standard practice for all ISP's routers because the vast majority of customers do not wish to tamper with supplied equipment and no doubt ISPs do not want customers tampering with settings which may cause unintended issues with their broadband connection. Both parties just want it to work.

The BT hub which comes with BTWifi activated, which you now know you agreed to when you joined BT, and the BT hub does have a software "button" to turn off BTWifi. While I do not know the exact workings of this, I presume that when this is activated by a BT Broadband customer, which you have said you are not, this sends a message to the BT ISP's servers when it authenticates during normal usage on the BT Broadband system.

When this signal is received BTWifi is turned off in the software. This usually happen with 24 hours but it can take longer. There is no human intervention required to make this happen.   

If the BT hub is "factory" reset, this restores the default setting to have  BTWifi active.

Because you are using the BT hub on a different ISP's network, albeit that ISP is member of the BT Group, the BT hub is not sending or receiving authentication to the BT ISP's network so therefore it has no knowledge of the BT hub and can not action any request for BTWifi to be turned off. 

Like others who have posted, I am surprised that although the BTWifi wireless signal is active that you can actually log onto it and use the Internet.

EDIT: Post crossed with the above. As regards the BT Terms and Conditions you referred to about turning off BTWifi. The T&Cs and their contents apply to BT Broadband Customers. As you have pointed out, you are no longer a BT Broadband customer therefore they do not apply to you or any residual BT equipment that you have chosen to use on another ISP's network.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 29

Regardless of the ins and outs of the BTwifi cancellation policy, I find it disconcerting that a Plusnet customer can still transmit and connect to the signal by using a BT hub. The BTwifi network infrastructure shouldn't be available to Plusnet.

Are you 100% sure it is your hub and not a neighbour's hub that you are connecting to?

Message 26 of 29

@Breakout wrote:
. Ok when it clearly say ANY TIME then I want to opt out then simple NO?

Seriously!!

The T&C apply to customers in contract with BT not after you have left BT.  you have to agree the T&C and confirm you have read them by ticking a box but like most people they never do read them. You then cannot complain at a later date about the terms which you have already read and agreed.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 27 of 29

If the configuration of the later home hubs, is the same as the original home hub 1, then the path to the BT Wifi authentication servers, was part of the core firmware, so unless the network path is blocked, it will still work, whichever ISP is used.

There was a script within the original home hub 1, which was activated on a change in value within the configuration file. This created the virtual path needed for BT Wifi, and added the extra SSID which was originally BT Openzone, as others may remember.

If people look at their home hub log, when they opt in our out of BT Wifi, they will see a value change taking place. Unfortunately its not possible to access the configuration file, this "feature" was removed on later firmware versions of the HH1. 

Remember that BT Wifi, is run as a separate service, and is available to many third party providers, its not a BT Retail product as such.

https://www.btwifi.com/contact/

They may have a way of turning of the service once they know the serial number of you home hub, but I expect that the ability to pass the config change to a home hub that is not using BTs TR-069 management server, would not exist.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 28 of 29

@Keith_Beddoe 

I'm pretty sure that is no longer the case. WiFi options are now confined to MyBT

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 29

@Anonymous wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

I'm pretty sure that is no longer the case. WiFi options are now confined to MyBT

Other third party providers can offer BT Wifi as a login option, if they have entered into a sharing agreement with BT Wifi. 

https://www.btwifi.com/business/

Wikipedia

"BT Wi-fi is a global wi-fi hotspot service provided by BT Group in partnership with Fon. It was established following a rebranding of the former BT Openzone and BT Fon, bringing both of the services under one"

0 Ratings