cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Splitting channels

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for in advance for any help. I have purchased some smart lightbulbs from Tesco(bit of an impulse purchase) and the instructions advise I can only connect to the 2.4Htz channel not the 5htz! I’ve been into the router settings and I’ve a feeling the hub won’t allow me to split and rename the channels (full fibre 900) so wondering if there was a get around? If not it’s the final straw with this router, supplying 900/100 with a hub without WiFi 6 has frustrated me enough.

Thanks again

Tim

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Splitting channels

Go to solution

I really don't understand this, but it does seem to be a problem. If the device is only 2.4Ghz it can't even 'see' the 5Ghz signal so why it causes a problem is beyond me.

However, the workaround is to turn off the 5Ghz signal until the devices have connected and then turn it back on again.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Interesting theory from a poster on the Kitz forum.

From what I understand when a wireless client speaks to an access point, the access point asks the client what it supports.

The 2.4 only client states 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n.
The 5ghz only client states 802.11a, 802.11n and 802.11ac.

Some of these 2.4ghz devices seem to not know that 802.11n supports 5ghz.
So the client states I support 802.11n, and the access point tries to connect the client to 5ghz.

So I put it down to lazy programming in the client.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@licquorice 

That almost sounds feasible but if it were true then temporarily switching to Wireless Mode 3 should have the same affect as disabling the 5G and I'm pretty sure from various posts on this forum that it doesn't, but I could be wrong.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

So with help from Stuart managed to get this sorted easily. Changed WiFi Frome mode 1 to mode 2 and all worked! 
Happy Days

Regards

Tim

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @Lewis265 

Glad I could help 

Stuart

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi Tim.

Just a tip.

Do you have any of the black WiFi disc's? If so don't be surprised if they stop working now you've gone to mode 2. 

0 Ratings