cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: fttp

Bear in mind that if you turn router off then you will not be able to stream anything to TV it will affect SKY if you have it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Thanks for the response but the idea is I will be in bed sleeping as, hopefully will be the child who would like to play online all night.

I know the Access Control, via the my BT app, should allow me to switch off his access but MAC spoofing negates that strategy.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

If there is another BT customer close by, even if you switch off your router, it may be possible to connect using BT Fon to the neighbours WiFi , using your @btinternet.com email address, if you have opted out then this shouldn’t be a problem.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Thanks for the reminder. Don't think he's aware of that as yet.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Would need your BTID and password to use BTWIFI but wth that it also gives access to your BT account which is not what you want

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

God forbid he ever gets that info!!!!!

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

Attempting to isolate a young person from the network can be stressful and counter-productive.

Implementing screen time and family guidelines is a more effective and easier. 

For example:

• Have family guidelines  – like meal and bed times
  • Establish a behaviour pattern as early as possible
  • Set and agree boundaries based on location, days and times
  • Share  – Both your own and their online screen time and experiences
  • Encourage creativity over watching- drawing, painting, coding, stories, videos
  • Extend play beyond the screen – dressing up as a character, role play off the device

and T.E.A.M advice...

• Talk to your child regularly about what they are doing online and how to stay safe. Let them know they can come to you or another trusted adult if they’re feeling worried or upset by anything they have seen.
  • Explore your child’s online activities with your child. Understand why they like using them and make sure they know what they can do to keep themselves safe.
  • Agree your own rules as a family when using sites, apps and games.
  • Manage your technology and use the settings available to keep your child safe.

I can recommend:

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/talking-child-online-safety

https://www.internetmatters.org/parental-controls

Message 18 of 20

Thanks for the response.

I am already aware of all the theory about tech and parenting. Unfortunately not very realistic when dealing with an older teenager whose lifestyle choices were established long before he came to live with me. 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Best of luck but I do not think you are going to resolve this with tech.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Thanks for your interest. I know tech will not sort out the underlying problems but it can ease some of theshort term problems for the rest of the family.

0 Ratings