cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

unable to bypass FTTP BBU backup unit

Go to solution

Hello everyone, I have BT FTTP at home for a few years (ONT + BBU battery backup unit), recently due to the working from home situation I want to remove the BBU to make room for other things. I read the post here that you can simply remove the BBU and plug the power directly into the ONT device. However when I do that my broadband connection is lost!  

As shown below, I unplugged A and plug it directly into B. After a few seconds the PORT1 LED light up and start blinking. However, my BT smartHub status light turns red and tells me the broadband is disconnected. Internet comes back when I reconnect the BBU.  The only thing that maybe peculiar is that the TEL1 LED also blinks when I bypass my BBU, although I don't use a landline.

It would be appreciated if someone can tell me if the BBU cannot be 'by-passed' and somehow the ONT unit checks for the health of the BBU unit and only allows internet connection when the BBU is present? (In which case I find it very strange as it should be a 'UPS' device to support power in the event of power failure).

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20210504_133428__01__01.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: unable to bypass FTTP BBU backup unit

Go to solution

Before you unplg A and plug it into B turn off the smart hub. Once the ONT has rebooted turn on the smart hub.

Do you still have the same problem then?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

How drunk was the guy who put that on the wall!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@StarwireI didn't comment on that in case it was you.🤣🤣😂

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Will try later tonight when no one's using the internet. For the record, when the smarthub tells me internet was disconnected and I plugged back my BBU, I also did not reboot smart hub and it connects back
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
no one was drunk, one of the anchor screw got loose at the back 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@pippincp 

Nah, if it was mine it wouldn’t fallen off the wall long before now.

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Update: works now without the BBU. Initially I power off the smarthub first and back on after bypassing the BBU and after awhile internet is back connected. 

Later I found out I don't need to power off the smarthub at all, somehow it just takes a bit longer for it to reconnect (without the BBU).

0 Ratings