cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: Home Hub clicking noises

@ArthurCJ wrote:

As 'Liquorice' was able to delete one post and move another I believe he or she has moderator privilages. Hence my question - "Do you work for BT ?".

No, I don't work for BT. CLs have slightly elevated privileges in that they can move posts (and effectively delete them by moving them to a quarantine board), not full moderator privileges.

CLs are just customers like yourself.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

Thank you for explaining although I must admit ignorance regarding what 'CL' actually means.

Arthur

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

Community Leader

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

Message 15 of 23

@ArthurCJ wrote:

I see that Home Hub clicking in general is a commonly reported issue on these fourms. A quick search provided seventy four results.

Arthur

In the interest of accuracy, if you actually check the searches that you have linked to you will see that not all of these results are about the hub making a clicking noise. Many of them, I can't be bothered to count how many there are,  are about noise on the phone line or the noise margin, the BT TV box or other problems with no mention of the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

Agreed.

Nevertheless others have noticed the same phenomenon so it is obviously not either unique to our router or my imagination.

It is something I find intriguing in much the same way that Cliff Stoll found a 75 cent accounting anomaly on a timesharing mainframe intriguing - and look where that led him.

Obviously there are other forums on which I could ask these questions but it seemed (to me) inequitable to seek answers elsewhere before trying the BT Community forums. Unfortunately, thus far, no one has been able to provide an answer.

Arthur

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

I came here to reply to another post I made several days ago, and spotted this thread..

I too, get clicking from my SH2, but didn't think anything of it..

I've started getting disconnects on my new FTTP installation, although the hub stays lit blue, all devices around the house get disconnected.

Now wondering if there's a link?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

@TinaT 

If your hub remains blue are the devices which drop connection connected using WiFi and not ethernet?  If so that suggests it is a WiFi problem and selecting different may help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 23

That is interesting.

Our hub also remains blue although we are disconnected.

It was this that led me to download and read the Home Hub Technical Log. This revealed that we are being port scanned most nights. The timing is varies but is usually near the top of the hour - most often 4am.

This in turn led me to undertake my own port scan that revealed potential issues with port 8085. As previously stated speculation and theories abound as to the potential. The jury is still out IMHO.

BT told me that our broadband disconnection issues should be resolved with FTTP. Perhaps they will be, perhaps not. We can only wait and see. However new cables did not resolve the issues in this village so whilst hopeful I do not share the optimism.

Once again - very interesting to learn that you are experiencing similar issues.

Arthur

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 23

@imjolly 

Everything drops, including ethernet.

Oddly enough, until I made that last post, I hadn't had any issues since early afternoon. I've had about 8 drops since that last post..

0 Ratings