cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Master socket 5c moving?

Go to solution

Hi there. 
Total novice so reaching out and apologising for my simple questions!

I am in the process of moving into a property. It has a master socket 5C in the kitchen. This socket is a little low and will interfere will my planned kitchen renovations. 
A couple of questions:

The old resident didn’t have the internet, so I assume the house is already connected and internet ready (so to speak)?

Who do I contact about moving the socket? Ideally I’d like it in the lounge. I can’t seem to find any contact details or who to contact to do this!

Any help is gratefully received!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Master socket 5c moving?

Go to solution

Your service provider can arrange this.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you for the reply

So if I’m not a BT customer, would it be Vodafone, for example, who move the BT socket? I thought it was the property of BT and no one but them could move it?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

It's the property of Openreach, and your provider can ask them to move it. There would be a charge for this, which you should be told beforehand.

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you so much. 

I contacted the provider and they said to contact a local electrician to move it. They would only do a ‘lift and shift’ if it were damaged. Which it isn’t. I’d just like it moved to a different room. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

That`s a bit odd, as BT Retail can raise an "Internal Shift" order with Openreach, for their customers. Its costs about £130.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi did you get any joy with moving your master socket I need to have mine moved ? 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Not at all! Good luck!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

That’s a shame thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Just go to local paper and get a telecom engineer and they will move socket cheaper than openreach and probably quicker as well

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.