cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Smart Hub 2. Have to restart at least once a week because DNS Servers stop responding.

I have a Smart Hub 2. The one where you can't manually configure the DNS Servers 😠

At least once a week, all new web page requests stop responding with a DNS server error.

I'm a software dev and I work from home. When it happens my VPN connection to work does not drop at this point, any active streaming connection does not drop either. It is simply new requests not finding BT's DNS.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Any idea what could be causing it? I have reset the router to factory settings but it hasn't helped.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Smart Hub 2. Have to restart at least once a week because DNS Servers stop responding.

If you are using a VPN you are not using BT's DNS servers, you are using your VPN provider's servers.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Re: Smart Hub 2. Have to restart at least once a week because DNS Servers stop responding.

Web requests from my home devices stop working, the browser error mentions DNS. 

My VPN connection to work stays alive.

It is definitely a problem with my router connecting to BT DNS. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

But surely the DNS requests will be going via the VPN, not to BT's DNS servers.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Hi, thanks for replying but can you please re-read the posts carefully? 

All home devices do not use any sort of VPN, these all fail twice a week and need a restart because of BTs DNS problems.

However, my laptop VPN connection to work never fails. Even when the home devices can't find web pages, the VPN connection on my work laptop stays alive. This proves it is not a connection problem with my broadband, it is simply new web requests coming from my router can't find a BT DNS Server. A router restart fixes it. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

I think you need to read your original post carefully. Nowhere does it mention that you are using different devices for work and home.

Message 7 of 12

@Raymondo999 

To answer the first of your questions, no, I've never had any DNS problems with our BT Smart Hub 2 or with our VPN router that piggybacks off the SH2.

You could always use the DNS Jumper free programme.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Do you have BT Web Protect activated. If you do try turning it off.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Thanks, it was on, didn't know it even existed on my account.
I'll try that and see how it goes. 

You know of this causing problems in the past?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Apologies
0 Ratings