cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

Whole Home Wifi Premium cannot see devices connected to wifi / ethernet when on other connection

Hi,

I've had Whole Home Wifi Premium for a number of years, and both the app and firmware are updated to the newest versions (SGAB20832C and 3.14.8). I recently changed from BT (using as SmartHub 2) to Sky as my ISP, both on FTTP.

The problem I'm now having after the change of ISP (and router) is that any devices connected to the WiFi network cannot see anything connected via ethernet cable, and vice versa. This was never an issue when using the BT SH2.

All devices have an IP address in the same group (192.168.0.x), and devices can see other devices connected via the same method (i.e. ethernet connected devices can see other ethernet connected devices), but nothing can see any devices connected by the other method.

Any ideas what is causing this, and how to rectify it? I've restarted the router and discs a number of times, but without success - I'd rather not factory reset if I can help it as I have a number of groups and names all saved which I'd rather not re-enter unless there's no other way! Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: Whole Home Wifi Premium cannot see devices connected to wifi / ethernet when on other connection

Are the Wi-Fi devices attached to the disc’s guest network?

Is there a network map on the router that shows connected devices?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

Re: Whole Home Wifi Premium cannot see devices connected to wifi / ethernet when on other connection

Hi @stevebrass,

No, I don't have the guest network turned on and all wireless devices are connected to the main Wi-Fi network on the Whole Home Premium.

The new sky router shows all devices connected via both ethernet and WiFi, and all their IP addresses are in the same range (192.168.0.x).

[edited to clarify wireless devices]

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 31

anyone able to help out with this at all?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 31

I think you might need factory reset of the discs.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 6 of 31

Ugh - that's quite frustrating!

I'm guessing there's no way to save the groups and restore those settings only after a factory reset?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 31

So the backup and restore functionality on the app seems to cater for exactly this, so i tried it and it worked.

However, factory resetting the discs hasn't fixed the issue of ethernet connected devices communicating with wirelessly connected devices.

Any other ideas on how I might be able to work out what's wrong and fix it?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 31

I have no knowledge at all of the BT whole home products so this is purely a guess, don't shout at me if I'm wrong.

It sounds like your ethernet and Wi-Fi are operating on different sub-nets but this is where the guessing comes in because I have no idea how the whole home network gets it's network address, my thinking is that all your ethernet devices are, as you say, using subnet 192.168.0.xxx but your wholehome system is using (say)192.168.1..xxx

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

That is indeed the first thing I thought of, however all the devices have IP addresses in the same range 192.168.0.x.

If I connect one of the wireless devices to the WiFi on the sky router, it can see the devices connected via ethernet, but if it's connected to the whole home WiFi it can't.

There must be some way to sniff / search / investigate the network settings to identify what is causing this?!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 31

The only other thing that comes to mind is the subnet mask, have you customised it or are you using the default

0 Ratings