cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

1mb/s Guarentee ?!

After a year in one property, I moved in late 2021 to another. Whilst in a contract the obvious thing to do was move BT with me. The line wasnt turned on but I moved anyway and waiting for an engineer to turn it on to the predicted 8-16mb/s . Not great speeds but usable.

After 3 engineer visits and battling with sub 2mb/s speeds for months Im not getting ANYWHERE.
One week it was 0.8, I rang support and a nice lady kindly tried to run a speed test and failed as it was so poor. Offered me to end the contract but I dont have any other provider options as its all on open reach.

I feel pretty much trapped by the fact that my stay fast guarantee is 1mb/s ....
At that speed whats the point of even having a stay fast guarantee as you cant load webpages / watch tv . Feeling pretty robbed at the moment. 

Rang up again to today to be told its been a steady 5mb/s for months, which is simply untrue as the last subcontracted engineer tested it straight from the outlet at 2.3.

There must be something that can be done to either get out of the contract or make the speeds usable. Ofcom and the govt state 10mb/s is deemed as usable in the right to a decent connection movement. Yet when I brought this up BT said, if its that slow its that slow. 

Anyone have any experience going down that route, or in a position similar to myself?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: 1mb/s Guarentee ?!

Can you post your hub stats and checker screenshot for your number please?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

mitchinsonadam_0-1646908925322.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

mitchinsonadam_0-1646909318102.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

As you can see, there is a waiting list for fast fibre because the cabinet is full. All you can do is keep checking and as soon as you see 'available' rather than 'waiting list' place an order to upgrade.

You had a speed of 5.41M on the 12th December.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Yes , 

Sometimes ive been able to reach speeds of 5. However this is when everyones at work (inlcuding me) During peak hours it can drop as low as 0.8. I dont feel that cherry picking a single speed during off peak hours is logical

I understand there might not be anything to be done, but hoenstly a stay fast of 1mb/s in 2022 is pretty awful. Just let people leave, I should have left when the lady offered it to me 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Keep in mind, in the event that you are able to leave BT all the other ISPs with exception of Virgin use the same infrastructure so any problems you have just now will be replicated with any new ISP and they will also be unable to supply FTTC due to there being a waiting list which applies to all ISPs.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Might be worth investigating mobile data coverage at the address. If it's decent then a 4G router with a suitable data plan may be an alternative while you wait for a slot on the cab to become free.

0 Ratings