cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

900 speed

tbb.jpg

I posted a while back about slow speeds after upgrading from Fibre 500 to 900.  I was averaging 650, minimum guarranteed is 700.  BT monitored for a few days and said they were reporting 900.  I dual-boot Windows and Linux and Linux consistently reports around 900.  We never determined what the problem is so I have been monitoring speed for a few days now and it appears to be getting slower.  Any ideas if this is just a windows thing?  Seems a bit odd that any speed test I use (I've used Fast, Ookla etc.) can't get near the proper speed.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: 900 speed

It looks like you have the exact same issue I'm having, full price for half the speeds.. but BT is adamant that my hub is getting above the guarenteed speeds so they don't have to refund me any costs... looks more and more like a scam it's like a business selling you a car that has 200 horse power according to the dealer, taking it to a different garage and then being told it's only 150 horse power.. it just shouldn't be the case. The problem BT has is people like you and me actually check our speeds because we want what we are paying for I'm paying nearly £55 a month for a package I can get for £30 a month with their compettitor. I'm fed up of complaining and being told "everything looks ok on our end" I have an engineer visit tomorrow and if they don't fix it I'll be cancelling and going with a more honest provider.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Yes, roughly what I'm paying. I had an engineer visit and he said it might have been a corrupted router upgrade (I got the impression he didn't really think so) and he basically just hard reset the router so I'd be interested to hear what your engineer says.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

I find the ThinkBroadband speedtest not very consistent but if I use https://proof.ovh.net/  I get max speed every time.

Downloading from the EA game servers I get 900Mbps+ but Steam usually maxes out about 700Mbps

I find a lot of sites seem to throttle your speed or can't supply 900Mbps+, not BTs fault

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Or like buying a tin of sky blue paint from a shop  but then your neighbour whose a Painter and Decorator saying it’s actually maya blue.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

1.jpg

I've used Ookla, BTwholesale, Fast and all show consistently low.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Yea that does seem slow, mine always comes out arount 900

speed.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Silly question are you on wired or wireless connection?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

By the looks of this post, they can get full speed on Linux, it's just Windows they are having issues with, possible network driver issue? https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Full-Fibre-500-to-Full-Fibre-900/m-p/2258536#M341446 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

TBH , the car analogy could be presented differently, it’s like complaining that although the car you were sold is supposedly capable of 0-60 in under 5 seconds and 200MPH , you cannot get near those performance figures because of the other traffic on the road ( ignoring the legal issues with those speeds ) , and additionally, your BHP analogy, if the company you employed to confirm the engine horsepower, didn’t use the appropriate  ‘kit’ to confirm the manufacturer claims , and all they did was take the car for a spin around the block , and base their opinion on that journey ,  the manufacturer would ( quite rightly) say that ‘test’ was of no value .
In the OP case , they confirm they get the speed they pay for on some equipment/setup and not on another , that pretty much indicates where the issue is.

In your case , provided the profile allocated to you is correct , and the only profile that gets the 100Mb upload is the 900Mb , so that suggests yours is correct, try at a likely quiet time and if the speed is better , perhaps it’s congestion on your PON ( you share 2.4Gb download with others , perhaps they are hammering their connections at the same time you are running speed your tests ) , if there is no difference between quiet times and busy times ( generally taken to be  6-9pm ) then it’s not likely to be congestion.

Fttp doesn’t have any rate adaption, you sync at the speed rate you pay for ( with  the proviso that that has been correctly set by the administrator) throughput is not under your provider control, and WiFi isn’t suitable for any measure of speed , also some people will ‘tests’ although using a wired connection, but using kit  that is not Gb capable or incorrectly set up. 
If the router ( SH2 ) is suspect, connect a suitable PC directly to the ONT , set up a PPPoE session with a suitable wired device and run the speed test from there.