cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Advice about boxes on wall when full fibre installed

Go to solution

At present, fibre is being installed in my area and I will have FFTP. There has been a cabinet placed near my house and fibre is connected to that. There is no duct to the house so it will need to be dug in before the boxes can be fitted on the wall. I cannot find out if any more work will be done by Openreach just now or if they will wait till I sign up to a provider (I will choose BT) I want to know if the external box has to be directly opposite the internal box or can the cable be run along the external wall before the hole is drilled through. Where I want the ONT box means this would need to happen. Any advice appreciated.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Advice about boxes on wall when full fibre installed

Go to solution

In my case it was. As far as I know it still can. Discuss with engineer on installation.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Enter your phone number or your address and post results including all the notes. This will show if available and give indication how FTTP will be provided 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

I fear that some of the information is repeated as I could only take a screenshot and I had to take two different ones to get all the information. I fear that I cannot understand the information that is there to let me to see how FFTP will be provided. Any interpretation would be helpful.

Shepherdess_0-1677611311485.pngShepherdess_1-1677611360674.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

It says FTTP is available and will be supplied underground and that the route to your house will need to be dug but it is 'soft', i.e garden or lawn rather than hard paving.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

So essentially you can order FTTP. You will probably be able to discuss with the installer where the external box goes (the CSP) and where the ONT goes inside. Cable can be run on an external wall from the CSP to the entry point for the ONT connection. There is a limit as to amount of external cabling as part of a standard installation- 15m? I can’t remember. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for that information. It looks as if I should order my fibre package and then wait and see what happens. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

It might say that the ground is soft but that is not true. Where the cabinet was sited, it is soft but it has to cross a paved path or cross a piece of tarmac. Indeed, the first bit will need to be along the edge of a garden retaining wall with the tarmac running up to it. Then cross a path but the edges of the path could be dug and a couple of paving slabs lifted. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Openreach FTTP doesn’t come from or use ‘cabinets’ , as already stated , your service is ‘pre built to the curtilage, soft’  ….there should have been some excavation work in your area , and now , there should be an access point installed at the boundary of the footpath and your ‘garden’ , the fact it’s says ‘soft’ , unless a mistake was made by  the surveyor , the the installation should be through soft surfaces ( lawn ) as opposed to ‘hard’ surfaces , which would be potentially more problematic, and could need your permission ( if it required lifting block paving for example ) 
If you visually check the footpath outside your address, it’s likely you will be able to see a recent ‘scar’ where ducting was installed, and a spur to a toby box or a duct marker outside your address , if your property is semi detached, it could be on the boundary between you and you attached neighbour, if the access point is designed to serve both addresses…from the toby box or duct marker , you should be able predict the route the installation would take the cable to get to your house wall .

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

I live in the countryside and most properties around here are near enough to a phone pole to have the last section down the copper wire. However, we were too far away so the cable is taken underground to this"cabinet" in our garden. From there to the house is not across soft ground.

0 Ratings