cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 35

Another Fibre 1/Fibre 2 Query

Go to solution

Hi all, I have another BT Fibre 1/2 query that I can't seem to find an exact answer to in the many questions already asked over the years.

I currently have Fibre 1 with BT and get a download rate of about 55 Mbps and upload around the 13 Mbps mark but wondered whether I would be able to sneak this up a bit if I subscribed to Fibre 2 ( I probably don't need it but would be nice to have the option) which is an option for me but the BT renewal page shows I wouldn't get any additional speed? My stats from the DSL checker site are as follows - 

ghtgriffiths_0-1641935761817.png

And my Hub details are as follows - 

ghtgriffiths_1-1641936128466.png

My cabinet is about 100m or so from my house (I appreciate the cable length may be longer) but wondered what the other constraints would be on the line not being able to support up to the full 80 Mbps download if not the distance to the cabinet? Does it depend on the type of cable used?

How do BT enable Fibre 1 or 2 for customers, is there a cap put on the service either physically at the exchange or in the software somewhere to limit the speed?

I had a letter in the post a few years ago promising a free upgrade from an average speed of 50 Mbps to 67 Mbps but have never seen any increase as a result of this and any when I have queried it since they deny any such upgrade was promised or actioned. Many thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35

Re: Another Fibre 1/Fibre 2 Query

Go to solution

You are already on fibre 2, but you appear to have a fault that is restricting your speed.

Message 3 of 35

Go to solution
Many thanks for the reply, can you tell me what indicates there is a fault and how would I rectify this? What would I tell BT for them to believe there is a fault on the line?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 35

Go to solution

You are currently getting about 61M with a capability of about 75M. Your DSL uptime is very short, did you disconnect  or restart it or is it due to disconnections on the line? Is your phone line noisy if you try the quiet line test 17070 option2? It should be totally silent.

Message 5 of 35

Go to solution

I had to knock the power off earlier to do something electrical in the house so couldn't avoid that unfortunately. The max I ever get on a speed test is 55 and it's a bit lower today maxing at about 52ish. I've tried the quiet line test but unfortunately only have a cordless phone, it's not completely quiet but unsure if that's down to the type phone or a fault on the line. There's a low static noise or white noise sound on it. To my knowledge ive never been able to achieve 60 let alone 70+

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 35

Go to solution

Speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds rather than download speeds which will always be lower due to protocol overheads and other causes.

Although it is preferable to carry out the quiet line test with a corded phone, it should be silent with a cordless phone.

Try reporting the fault as a noisy line, the line test may show up the fault.

Message 7 of 35

Go to solution

Bit of an update, I have reported the issue and apparently there is some internal interference on my line. They've booked an engineer visit for Thursday to investigate. What could cause internal interference, poor internal wiring?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 35

Go to solution

Hi @ghtgriffiths, welcome to the forum, and thanks for your posts. Do come back and update the thread after the engineer visit to let us know how you got on.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 35

Go to solution

@ghtgriffiths 

Ignoring any line issues you've probably got Fibre 2 speeds for Fibre 1 prices as BT did a loyalty upgrade a few years ago as I did.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 35

Go to solution

Ok, bit of an update, engineer visited today.

Changed my master socket from the ancient one to a 5c whatever that means which apparently should be more efficient? Said very low static noise on line is background noise and not much can be done. With regard to speed however they said I am getting more than I should be anyway according to the point of sale which states 50 Mbps but getting about 55 Mbps average today. Not sure if anything else to go at now as not entirely 100% sure what I'm entitled to really. Letter I received a few years ago seems to suggest I should be getting higher but don't know. Would I even get 55 if it was capped at Fibre 1. 

0 Ratings