cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Broadband Availability Checker

I have now been without broadband of any sort since 2nd June 2023 after trying to upgrade from std copper to FTTP, which was offered to me. Initially via Sky for 5 weeks and now via BT for 6 weeks. Openreach have come back to BT and said there is no “NAD Key” for this address and have cancelled my latest order ( of 4 in total). On reading your forum, I have used the Broadband Checker which says FTTP is available, however I believe this is incorrect as there are similar addresses next door which are newly converted apartments (previously they were offices) and the checker refers to our property (a house) as Multi Dwelling e.g. 

“Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Multi Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.”
so my question to this forum is, “ Who owns the database, and how can I get it corrected if I believe it’s incorrect?” 
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Broadband Availability Checker

is your address correct in royal mail database?

do you have broadband at all?  if so which ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Hi, yes address is correct at Royal Mail. Newly converted offices ( which have fibre ) have an address of n, Meadow House, Meadow Drive. We have an address of n, Meadow Drive. All have the same postcode so I think this is where the confusion has come in. Openreach have visited us 3 times and incorrectly have our details as the apartments.
We have an outstanding complaint with BT which I am waiting feedback on. So I would say BT are our ISP, although we don’t have any service. We did have Hybrid Connect until the last BT order was cancelled last week.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Openreach own and update the database. BT need to raise an ORDI with Openreach to have the database corrected.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

A property being recorded as MDU instead of SDU , wouldn’t in itself stop an install, provided the rest of the info was OK , and presumably you have raised orders , otherwise how have Openreach visited , so why did the OR techs not do the install, a physical problem or simple confusion over expecting to install in a flat /apartment but being faced with a house ?
If the converted offices ( which have fibre ) have an address of n, Meadow House, Meadow Drive and you have an address of n, Meadow Drive. ( so your address doesn’t contain Meadow House ) is the survey return you posted for Meadow House Meadow Drive , or just Meadow Drive ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Hi iniltous,

yes we have raised orders, 2 initially with Sky and now 2 with BT which has resulted in 3 visits by OR engineers. As the OR database appears to be incorrect, they believe on arrival that it’s just a straight connection to the pole outside our property, only to be “surprised” that the pole has no fibre connections and feed this back to their management, they do a survey while on site and leave,  advising me that they will get the pole upgraded (there are 9 properties fed under copper from this pole) then nothing happens. Subsequently the order(s) get cancelled and I’m back to having nothing. 
The survey return I posted is most definitely from n,Meadow Drive and not Meadow House.

My latest tack is “ok, no plans to upgrade the pole, then reconnect me to copper” and I have a complaint in with BT to get this done as because we are showing as FTTP capable, they can’t raise an order for copper with OR.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

I've flagged this for the mods, although they don't deal with FTTP issues they should be able to get more info for you.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Hi @pcockeri, sorry you're unable to get full fibre or FTTC connected. We'll be happy to take a look at this for you to see if we can help and check on the progress of your complaint.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

There are separate Openreach FTTP programs for ‘new builds’ and ‘retro build’ , retro build is where an established area , that already has copper service , is overlaid with FTTP , the current policy for new builds ( new sites ) apart from single plots , are they provided with FTTP as standard .

The current Openreach newsites policy of 2 or more new build  ‘addresses’ getting  FTTP as standard , probably means these new addresses  ( even though they are a part of an MDU ) get FTTP , the chances are an internal FTTP distribution network was installed at ‘first fix’ by the developer ,( with the fibre kit , and instruction on what needs to go where , supplied by OR ) and  the external OR FTTP network provided just for  the MDU building , in other words this FTTP ‘network’ was only ever designed to pick up these new MDU address.

It would seem that your address has been inadvertently included with these new apartments addresses , and consequently Openreach incorrectly show FTTP availability  that  isn’t available. The OR installation people , who are not ‘network build /FND ‘ are probably misinformed and giving false hope of FTTP, if they think it’s simply a case of getting a CBT added to the pole that actually serves your address, somehow piggybacking on the MDU FTTP network.

The more pressing problem ( as you are aware ) is because of this incorrect address data , you cannot simply revert back  to FTTC, and ( assuming this explanation is accurate) unfortunately speculating how the situation arose may be easier than rectifying it, presumably OR will need to re associate your address from FTTP back to the copper network .

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Hi JohnC2,
Thanks for that. I plan to call BT again tomorrow to check progress. Following that what’s the best way of getting your help? Shall I just post the complaint ref number?
0 Ratings