cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband Failure

Hi, I’m now on day 14 with no broadband (and no TV) due to a “MSO”! 

I’ve been given 4 different dates so far for it to be repaired but each comes and goes. 
I know I’m being lied to by the Guides as my mother in law lives next door and I get told one thing and she’s being told something else. 

I’ve only been with BT since March and this is the second time this has happened although this is much worse. 

my wife wants out of our contract, how do I do it? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband Failure

@robswainbank 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Residential phone and broadband customers.

What type of broadband connection do you have, is it a copper cable or an optical fibre?

In both cases it would be Openreach who do any repairs, so that would affect all providers that use the Openreach infrastructure.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Hi, it is fibre. 

I just keep getting put on hold by the guides whilst they contact Openreach and then they come back to me with a date (and they’ve even specified a time on a number of occasions) that Openreach have said the issue will be fixed by. 

As I said, now day 14 and 4 dates where the fault would be repaired by have come and gone so I’ve now told them to not even bother giving me a new one. 

I can accept that faults occur but it’s being lied to that is annoying me the most! 

Message 4 of 5

Fibre networks have more points of possible failure than copper, and can take a long time to fix. Its most likely affecting all the users connected to your fibre splitter, and possibly more.

Unlike copper, fibre needs specially trained technicians, and equipment to measure light levels.

BT would be relying on updates from Openreach, which may not be forthcoming at the moment.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Unless you moved from Virgin or an Alternative Network, as stated , if it’s a major service outage within Openreach , then it really would matter who the ISP is that provided your service was .

MSO are treated as a priority, so if it is a MSO that is causing your issues, then the length of time to resolve is already substantially longer than normal , which suggests it may be matters beyond OR’s control, like if a road closure is required and a long notification period is required by the authorities.

It’s not ideal the way ISP that use Openreach are required by the regulator Ofcom to interact with each other , so unfortunately although you would get better information if Openreach could deal directly with you , Ofcom don’t allow it , so invariably you get BT’s non engineering interpretation of what they can find out from Openreach .

0 Ratings