cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 30

Broadband speed is now throttled to 20mbs compared 38mbps to when it was first installed.

Go to solution

I live in Gislingham, Suffolk and about 5 or so years ago when FTTC was first introduced my BT package was 38mps. Now the package I am on (the only package available) is down to 20mbps , almost 50% less than what it was when first installed. 

What the heck is going on BT, is this your idea of faster broadband or have have you hit the Xmas drinks already? When are we going to get some truly fast fibre in our village?

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Re: Broadband speed is now throttled to 20mbs compared 38mbps to when it was first installed.

Go to solution

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal   does not apply if you have digital voice

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 30

Re: Broadband speed is now throttled to 20mbs compared 38mbps to when it was first installed.

Go to solution

Thanks for your response. I could post the stats that you suggest but I think you've missed a key point of my posting. The only package BT can offer me is the one I am on which is 20/8 Mbps and that is the max speed I can and do achieve. When FTTC originally went live the package I was on was 38/8mbps hence my statement that speeds are now throttled, the 38/6 package is no longer offered by BT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution

Sigh, your speeds are not throttled. You either have a fault or your speed has reduced as a result of crosstalk interference from other customers. Posting the stats will help determine which it is.

There is no 38/6 package.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

Hi @Corky_Boy and welcome back.

It's been a while but great to see you again. I'm sorry you're connection speeds have dropped. I'm sure we can get you some help with this. Can you start by posting the details requested by @licquorice ?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

BT.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution
As I previously stated, 38mbps when originally installed now my package is reduced to 20mbps, if that is not throttling it, I'd love to know what the techies would call it. There are no alternative speeds on offer from BT for me.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

As already posted it could be line problem but posting the stats from hub will help the forum members and mods help you. Not sure why reluctant to post stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution

That screenshot is meaningless, it is just an estimate. You have not been throttled, whatever would be the point?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

I give up,  BT state that my current package is "20mb download speed with 17mb guaranteed   minimum with 8mb upload speed". That is my package, renewable in October and you say that is meaningless. (?) My only reluctance to post the data is that it is totally irrelevant to my situation. As I've stated previously several times my initial BT package was 38/8mb, they no longer offer it in our village for houses like mine, approx 1k from the cabinet, 20mb is all they offer.

0 Ratings