cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Cutting off broadband and landline without any warning

I received a letter from BT saying my broadband contract was nearing completion and I should phone to renew. I did this and the rep told me I could upgrade to full fibre. I was told this would be a simple set up with a new router. The Openreach engineer showed up at the wrong time to install and told my wife a survey should have been done, he didn’t know where the services were and my driveway/garden would have to be dug up. I phoned BT to say this was too disruptive to my property and I would stick to the service I had. I was told they would do this once the full fibre request was stopped. It should be the next day. I phoned repeatedly over the next week to check the status of this and was always told they were still waiting. On New Year’s Day my broadband and landline were cut off. BT had disconnected me totally. On January 6th I eventually spoke to a representative who confirmed that I would have to rejoin BT and set up a new account with a new direct debit. As my phone number had been discontinued I would have a new landline number - I could have my own number back eventually - free of charge. 
I have been misled, lied to, given the run around and been totally inconvenienced by BT. Surely this is no way to treat loyal customer of 40+ years.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cutting off broadband and landline without any warning

Hi @Dacvid66, welcome to the forum, and sorry for the recent poor experience you've had. 

Once you contacted to cancel the upgrade your service should not have been disconnected. Has your service now been restored with the temporary number?

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply. BT have told me that my broad band and phone will not be connected until January 28th at the earliest. They have now sent a mini hub but 4G is patchy in my area so this keeps dropping out. To make things worse I keep getting texts from BT telling me my service has been restored!.

I can’t use Hive and the various smart home functions controlled by Alexa. My printer is wifi connected and music and TV through Amazon is unavailable. 
Is there any way I can get BT to restore my services more quickly as this is entirely their fault? 
By the way, BT’s financial department is still working as my Direct Debit payment has just been taken. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @Dacvid66, thanks for posting back and I can certainly understand your frustration at the delay in getting reconnected when the 4G is patchy. 

I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team. I can't guarantee it but we'll be happy to see if there is anything we can do to get your reconnection brought forward.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings