cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Engineer Visit / Fault advice

I'd appreciate some help as I'm a bit nervous that a planned visit from BT may be a waste of time.

As of yesterday my broadband performance took a nose dive. Typically we are connected at 56 down and 6mb up. Line stats never move , My ping rarely goes above 10ms and jitter is typically 0.  SNR looks good and is stable. I have a 5C socket with no extensions and have plugged directly into the master to confirm no issues with the faceplate etc

Then Gigclear turned up and our road now resembles  a scene from Beirut. The iming may be a coincidence. But I doubt it.

My connection rate and stats have stayed OK but my ping and Jitter have gone off the radar. I am seeing ping's ranging from 700 to over 1000. Jitter is all over the place also at 100ms+. My speed tester is also showing 6% loss also which has always been zero (I assume this is packet loss?)

Had a call back from a love;ley irish lady who reported that she had tested the line and that speed was low and there was clearly an issue. So all good so far. Shen then confirmed she had booked Home Tech Expert to come out and have a look. This is where I became a bit concerned. I was under the impression that these engineers look at issues within the property and with BT equipment. Whereas the issue I have  needs an OR engineer (Maybe an SFI engineer).

So my question is - Am I right to be worried that come Friday I will be getting a visit from someone that actually can't do anything to fix things?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Engineer Visit / Fault advice

Openreach will get involved if the home visit proves that there is an issue on the external network.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi @slt76 and thanks for posting.

The home tech expert will check any internal issues and if an SFI is required will recommend that.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I have no idea why BT seem to waste resources by sending someone to prove what you have already proved, but it seems to be the latest way of doing things. As @Keith_Beddoe says, they will refer the problem to Openreach to resolve. Unfortunately it just adds delay but there is no way to circumvent the process.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks all for confirming. As I suspected it will in fact be a waste of time then and will just add delays. 

As has been mentioned I have already completed everything that I expect them to do (i.e restarted the hub, plugged into the master, removed everything else from the network etc etc.).

I guess there is no point in kicking off as nothing will change. 

Im hoping I don't get there "We don't have an SLA for ping/latency" brick wall. My connection speed is not impacted but throughput is appalling and the time to load sites etc. Is horrendous.

Thanks for the input folks.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Gigaclear's contractors caused mayhem when let loose around here. Multiple instances of severed OR cables & homeowners returning to find a channel carved across their driveway.

If you haven't done it already, do you have an old router kicking around to try? If not it may be worth looking for one cheap on Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree. Would be the last thing ruled out internally & not a bad idea to have a spare in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Gigaclear hit a a BT cable yesterday afternoon. The guys working in my street were pretty honest and just let me know when I went out to ask if they were aware of any issues due to all the ducting they are laying. They did however say that the best thing is to tell my provider if the service is affected as that is the quickest way to get it sorted.

So Fridays visit will be really frustrating now as all I will be doing is pointing out where they have told me they damaged the cables. Wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't working from home.

0 Ratings