cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

FTTP installation

Go to solution

WBC FTTP is available at my house as a 1 Stage Install Process – “Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.”  However, I would prefer the cable to be underground.  The pole is 20 metres from the house, easy dig over soft ground, which I could do myself prior to installation.

I don’t want to place on order with BT until I know whether this proposal is feasible, so wonder if anyone has similar experience - is OR likely to be agreeable to this, if so how best to contact them? 

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP installation

Go to solution

They haven't been known to. How close is the pole to your property boundry? If even a metre or less who owns the intervening space? Will it require a dig to install a duct from pole to property?

What seems simple to you is not always the case.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Many thanks.  The pole is on my property, as agreed with OR.  I could dig a 20m trench by hand to a 300mm depth easily (or can borrow a friend's mini-digger).  It would be much neater than OHC to gable end of house, along and down to suitable entry point.  After all, it's infrastructure for decades to come, but I suppose OR will want to do what's easiest for them.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Because you order with a CP ( communication provider ) but it’s Openreach or an OR Contractor that will do the actual installation work , the chances are you won’t get BT to commit to any particular method of installation, so if it’s a deal breaker , any insistence by yourself, that it’s underground or you won’t order , chances are you won’t order , its the way the industry is mandated by Ofcom to be structured, that you cannot speak to Openreach directly.

If you supply the means ( a roped duct from the pole to your property external wall ) then the OR tech probably won’t have a problem using it , as underground feeds  from a pole to a property are allowed, but the installer may well not have the necessary ‘stores’ with them , as a cable ran down a pole  into a duct should be behind capping on the pole , and on the house wall , expecting to serve a property overhead , the installer may not necessarily have these items to hand , namely,

Capping Steel No.1, Connector Bend No.1, at the pole end , and BT Connector Bend No.4, BT Capping 25 at the house wall, and preferably a Duct 56 and a 2x Duct bend ,installed by yourself in advance , OR would supply this FOC on building developments but how to arrange this in your situation is unknown 

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Many thanks, that's very helpful, I've kept a copy. Currently we have wireless internet, BT landline only - which my wife wants to keep although not used much - so I'll hold off just now until the exchange becomes fibre only and we are have to act.
0 Ratings