cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Full fibre (2 visit) install

Go to solution

I have ordered BT Full Fibre to my property. I have 2 engineer visits ‘pending’. I understand the first visit will be Openreach who will take the fibre from some access on the pavement outside of my property to a suitable location (at my discretion) on my house via a CSP box. Firstly, how will they do this? Will they use the current copper conduit to ‘pull the fibre cable through’ or will they want to dig a trench along my garden somewhere? Secondly, like many people I have loads of kit plugged into my current Hub via Ethernet. I really do not want to rearrange everything for the new set up. Also I have a big house so the Hub is currently located on the top of a wall unit in the main room as this has been found to be the best place to get a wifi signal around the house. With Halo 1 I had to use one extra disc, but now I have a power line wifi mesh throughout the property. So, I am undecided where best to ask Openreach to locate the CSP as I want to keep the Hub on top of my unit. Is it possible to run about 5m of the internal optical cable from the internal box to the modem or do both units need to be next to each other as described in the installation video I have been sent? 

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Full fibre (2 visit) install

Go to solution

The CSP is the external box and is irrelevant where it is placed. It is the ONT (optical modem) that is connected to the hub. The ONT and hub can be connected by up to 100 metres of Ethernet cable but that will be your responsibility, the engineer will only have a short patch cable. If it is possible, the engineer will site the ONT adjacent to where your hub is currently, connecting it to the CSP, if not you will have to run the Ethernet cable.

Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

OR will use ducting if available. 

The CSP is mounted on an external wall. Cable can then be run externally to a suitable entry point. At this entry point the ONT (optical modem) will be mounted internally. This connects via Ethernet cable to your hub. 
Without the detailed ins and outs of your property, nobody can be definitive but normally a satisfactory result can be achieved. 

If you check on the BT wholesale checker it will detail whether you have existing ducting or not. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

The fact you are getting a two stage install , in an underground area , suggests that your current copper cable is direct in the ground (DIG) so no duct to the property exists , and an access ‘Toby box’ needs to be placed at the curtilage of the property ( has there been any excavation by contractors placing these toby boxes in the footpath recently ? ) , they are sited to provide the least obstacles to get to the house wall ( so placed opposite a grassed lawn area and not opposite the driveway  for example) excavation is required, but it’s fairly simple if in ‘soft’ ground or only a small amount of hard surface…..if there has been no obvious recent work in the footpath etc, then you may have a ducted feed , just that the survey couldn’t verify the point at where it appears at the house ( or is visible but has been covered by landscaping etc ) in which case the address is put down as congested duct , so OR  know to verify that the cable can be successfully installed before the contractual date, rather than trusting to luck , hitting a snag and failing to hit the required date.

If you check your address/phone number ( if already with BT ) the result of the survey is shown.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 5 of 24

Go to solution
Thanks for this. To be absolutely sure I understand; the CSP will be wall mounted on my house by Openreach. The BT engineer/installer can then run (any length) optical cable from the CSP externally to the position I want the ONT sited internally. Drills hole through wall. Mounts ONT internally. The ONT and the new full fibre BT Hub are then connected via an Ethernet cable. The Ethernet cable the BT engineer will have for this connection is likely to be less than 5m, so I am best to be prepared by buying a suitable length cable. Cat 5, 6 or 7? Is this correct? Also, if the Hub is connected to the ONT via Ethernet, how many free Ethernet ports will there be left? Soz for the long reply but I’ve had so much trouble getting this far with BT, I want to make sure I understand what they will be doing and what to ask for.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution
I have not noticed any boxes at or around my property, but will double check. Zzoomm installed the fibre and they’ve certainly dug up the pavement in front of my house. This may be the problem that I have been having with my order as I’ve been told by BT that Openreach have an issue with my house - one BT salesperson told me that Openreach ‘didn’t recognise my property’ but that they have now sorted it out.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

First and foremost, BT aren't involved at all. Openreach do all the installation, external and internal.

The optical cable from the CSP to ONT is up to 30M

The hub has 4 Ethernet ports, one of which (port4) will become the WAN port connected to the ONT, leaving you 3 LAN ports. If you require further, cheap GbE Ethernet switches can be had for £10-15  from the usual sources.

Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

Just noticed you said it was zzoomm that installed the fibre. In which case it is nothing to do with either BT or Openreach.

Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

@LALsquared  Shouldn't you be looking here?

Installation Guide 

Message 10 of 24

Go to solution
Thanks, but not really. I am currently a BT customer and they say they are dealing with Openreach for my order to upgrade. Zzoomm were the company that actually installed the main fibre cable network throughout my town.
0 Ratings