cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: Full fibre (2 visit) install

Go to solution

BT don't use zzoomm infrastructure. There is no connection with Openreach either.

Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

Post the DSL checker return for your address ( or use your phone number if a BT customer ) this will show if OR FTTP ( the only supplier BT use ) is available 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

Ok. I have checked the BT Broadband Checker and this is the result for my address. I assume that ‘WBC FTTP’ (Ultrafast FTTP) is the important line re availability at my house? 349247E7-0C8F-4E56-B9F4-C7B3980B6F0F.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

That does indeed show that OR FTTP is available KCI2 ( keeping customers informed ) 2 presumably the origin of the ‘2 stage’ install , on the same site , below the info posted is normally a ‘line’ that displays the survey return for the address ,something like  ‘ UG built to curtilage, hard’ is what I would expect given your description of the area your property is in….you could  find , if a single ‘toby box’ can be positioned to serve two property’s,  it could be in the footpath but on the boundary line  between two addresses ( like a pair of semi detached for example )

As far as this  ‘ Alt Net ‘ provider activity in your area, presumably it  is coincidental , or there is a contractor ( that does civils work , like laying duct / building jointboxes etc ) , has a similar name to that Alt Net , or perhaps OR ( although less likely) and this Alt Net are using the same civils contractor as OR, but  OR cannot and don’t use anyone else’s infrastructure, but OR cannot stop Alternative Networks using OR infrastructure if they want to.

Message 15 of 24

Go to solution
This is the relevant info below the table?
Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG congested duct.
FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

No one at BT has told me I cannot order the new product but there have been issues getting the order through OR. Even the checker could not find my phone number so I had to use my address. Hopefully I have not been misled by BT on all of this.
Thank you so much for all of your help.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

That is indeed the part , it shows that you do have an existing duct ( so at a guess your property was probably built in the 1990’s or later ) but it wasn’t possible to verify that the duct is serviceable, hence the congested duct survey note , ( so no general area excavation to build toby boxes ) you get a two stage install because it’s possible the duct may need ‘work’.

….a typical scenario could be a porch has been built on the front of the property , it is in line with where the duct should appear, if the neighbours houses are of similar design, it may be possible to ‘see’ where their duct comes up on the wall ( grey plastic covers ) and presume your duct should  appear at the same place.
Basically the OR cablers will attempt to locate and cable the duct to the location of the CBT , if successful they allow the second stage ( also Openreach ) to continue and finish the install ( CSP /ONT etc ) , if the existing duct cannot cabled on the 1 stage visit and ‘extra’ work is needed , they discuss with you what you are prepared to have done , for example if the point at which the existing duct needed  excavation was under a concrete drive you may say ‘No’ and then the  order is cancelled with no compensation, as you refused to allow the work .

If happy with what’s needed , ( assuming work is needed ) the 1st stage continues with the excavation , that may need extra civils workers and a new 1st stage date,  ( so you still haven’t been given a contractual date yet  ) when that ‘civils’ work is done , and the optical cable exists between your house wall and CBT , the second ( contractual date ) stage is started.

TBH , so far your ‘journey’ has been correct, you were told a two stage , so basically not to get too ‘excited’ as extra work may be needed, it’s always possible that the existing duct isn’t congested, and can be cabled on the first visit , and the ‘expected’ 2nd stage dates are used, obviously if ‘work’ is needed the second stage date is changed to reflect what ever work is needed.

Message 17 of 24

Go to solution
Thank you so much for this very helpful explanation 👍
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

That shows FTTP available.Can you also post the notes from the bottom of the table.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution
I hope that your situation turns out better than ours, sounds a little similar. During the process of having fibre installed BT/Openreach informed us that there would be a cost for construction charges so we decided not to proceed. Openreach however apparently informed BT that fibre had indeed been installed, and so BT disconnected our previous (copper) broadband based on this. BT inform me there is now no capacity at our cabinet to reconnect our broadband and nothing they can do. BT says we must now pay £5k to cover openreach costs to get broadband again!!
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

It’s doubtful it’s going to be similar, the OP already has a ducted feed , it may be perfectly fine to use , it just couldn’t be verified at survey, if ( probably worst case scenario ) the duct turns out to be damaged and needs repair somewhere, ( possibly more than one place ) it’s unlikely to exceed the costs that OR ‘cover’ as part of the installation budget.

In general, if someone is faced with construction costs , IMHO it would be unfair , if they had thousands of ££’s spent on their individual install but faced no higher charge because of it , if someone with a standard (cheap)  install pays the same standard price , they are basically subsidising the expensive one, and it’s likely it’s the one with the more expensive install has more ‘capacity’  to pay ECC’s than those subsidising it, and assuming it’s a private property, the initial expense of paying something towards the installation will be offset by the increase in value of the property once FTTP is installed , there have been articles written that claim  a house with FTTP is worth considerably more than an identical house in the same area without FTTP .

If excess construction costs are necessary, and the consumer is unable or unwilling to pay , being unable to return to the previously provided system ( FTTC or whatever ) is rare , and obviously ‘disappointing’ for the individual concerned…but in your case , I don’t  see why ADSL would be available as a stopgap , even if currently no space exists in the ‘FTTC’ cabinet, but ( although of no comfort to you ) not being able to go back on the ‘old’ system is likely to be the exception not the rule.

0 Ratings