cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Full fibre speeds after 3 days

OK I have now got a Cat7 ethernet lead fitted from my pc to the router. The speeds I am getting are :-

Fast.com  350 / 91

BT wholesale  395 / 145

Broadband speedchecker  324 / 80

A lot of variation in them speeds as expected. Its been over 3 days since my full fibre was activated. The pc I am using is a Lenovo SFF. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz , 16GB Ram, 500gb Ssd. Ok its not the quickest pc but its certainly not the slowest. I would have thought my speeds would have been better than they are at the moment.

On WIFI they are :-  

Fast.com  200 / 85

BT Wholesale 215 / 118

Broadband speedchecker  208 / 52

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Full fibre speeds after 3 days

@welshviking wrote:

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

Stop doing speedtests

Message 3 of 16

Ok so how will I know if my speed is anywhere near what I am paying for  ? Not meaning that as an obnoxious answer I just want to know.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

What does it matter what speed you are getting as long as there are no problems with what you are trying to do.

What's the point of your speed being xMbps if you are only using yMbps?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

I have been working the last 2 days so only get to come on the internet after work but both my teenage sons who both have gaming pc's have commented that the internet is hardly any better than before I went to full fibre. Ok they are both using WIFI as the router is downstairs (in the hall) and there pc's are in the bedrooms. The only reason I changed to this plan was to make them 2 happy and get a stress free life.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

You don't need high speeds for gaming, 10Mbps is plenty.

Message 8 of 16

Wi-Fi connectivity is more likely their issue. Use Ethernet cabling or Powerline adapters.

It does not matter how fast your Internet connection is, as  Wi-Fi is always going to be the limiting factor.

Message 9 of 16

Hi @welshviking and thanks for posting.

Sorry for any confusion with your speeds. What was the estimate when the order was placed? Did you get confirmation of that? @Keith_Beddoe  is right about your sons connection. Wireless will always be slower than wired. Have they tried powerline adaptors etc?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

If you have FTTP , then there is no training period like rate adaptive systems that vary speed depending on line conditions, you get the connection speed you pay for , provided the correct profile has been applied to your account , and with optical systems the light level is key, sufficient power means you connect, insufficient and  you get LOS ( loss of signal ) and it doesn’t work….its not the case  that if the level is low speed is reduced accordingly, it either works or it doesn’t, have you noticed if the red LOS light has been lit  ?

There have been many posts on this and similar forums , complaining that the speed the customer is getting is less that they expected, but in every case I recall , the problem was with the customers kit , being incapable of using the speed offered ( 100Mb Ethernet controller for example is going to limit speed to that rate ) , WiFi ,  unless using cutting edge gear, is  not going to perform anywhere  near wired connections speeds, it’s possible there is a fault at the headend , but you would expect every member in the PON to be affected , not just you.

Your issue does seem strange as your recorded speeds vary massively…it needs to be accepted though that you do not have an exclusive connection, you share your PON with upto 32 others , although policy seems to be a max of 30….you and these others share a download bandwidth of 2.4Gb, if you happen to be running a speed test when these  other customers are consuming large amounts of bandwidth then obviously the throughput ( not connection speed ) will be affected ….try running a speed test when it should be a quiet time ( say after midnight ) …also , if you have family members online at the time you do a speed test then obviously they are going to affect the speed test result, you need to test when no one and nothing else is connected to the router.

0 Ratings