cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 39

Getting FTTP

How can  I get connected to the illustrated unit on the pole which currently also has the copper wire carrying my unsatisfactory broadband?   My neighbour half a mile further along the same fibre run (dug in a year ago) has a working FTTP connection from the similar unit on a similar pole.

Why can't I get connected?

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39

Re: Getting FTTP

Customer connections are made from a CBT ( connectorised block terminal )  the image shown is of a splitter node or a intermediate joint ,  CBT’s can be cabled from these  devices , but if the pole that this ‘node’ is  on , ( presumably the pole that serves your home with copper )  ,  doesn’t also have a CBT on it , then the chances are this is part of the distribution network for another close by area ,and that areas CBT’s are served from it .

If your property isn’t part of that particular PON ( passive optical network ) this FTTP item even if it’s very close to your property , neither helps or hinders your chances of getting FTTP , but it probably provides FTTP for an area that your address isn’t included in .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 39

There are no 'others'. this unit is just a 'spur' off the fibre line dug in along our singletrack road (and dug in across our drive entrance) a year ago. Similar units are on poles near every neighbouring residence (There are only 4 residences on the road which is just over a mile long) As noted, the neighbour furthest along the line has gotten connected. He was with plusnet and apparently they asked openreach to do the work. Why can't BT do the same for me?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 39

TMZCGZZY is an Intermediate Fibre Joint.

Looks like it’s linked to a CBT about 650m up the road.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 39

So if this ‘IJ’ is simply a point at which a fibre cable meets another fibre cable to extend the connectivity along a route ( a cable into the IJ spliced to a cable , or cables going out ) , it’s proximity to your address is irrelevant, it’s part of a network that isn’t designed to include your property, it just happens that it runs past your property.

As far as your neighbour with Plusnet asking Openreach to get them FTTP , that’s not the case , there is no mechanism for that , there is a product, FTTPod ,( fibre to the premises on demand) where a customer  ( if they are prepared to pay for the network to be constructed ) can get a themselves connected to FTTP , this is very expensive and it’s an Openreach product that Plusnet don’t offer , so cannot be how your neighbour was connected , unless they initially used an ISP that does offer FTTPod ( like Cerberus ) and when the minimum term expired  they migrated to Plusnet , (  like any other ‘native’ FTTP customer, FTTPod customers are treated up just like ordinary FTTP after the minimum term ) 

The chances are that your neighbour just happened to be within an area that Openreach provided FTTP for , and you are not in that area .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 39

From what I can tell the house with the CBT outside is at the end of a Dead End Road. So you have to go past the OP’s house to get to it.

To be fair to the OP unless the Neighbour did pay for an FTTPoD Service it does seem odd his property wouldn’t be on the same PON. 

This is purely speculation but I have come across it before but is the neighbour, or previous owner of the neighbours house someone of importance or has Political sway to influence things in BT/Openreaches favour?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 39

It may have been a USO build 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 39

I’d be interested to find out where the Splitter is and how many other premises it serves.

It could potentially be a USO Build. 

Although if they went to the trouble of building a PON for a USO Build why not connect up others nearby.

A single fibre can supply service to upwards of 32 people. Why would Openreach only add one extra THP when they could have 32?

Got some Adtran Build work to do in the Midlands tomorrow. Might see if one of the local guys, if one’s about will have a look on the map for me.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 39

@36ULWwrote:

I’d be interested to find out where the Splitter is and how many other premises it serves.

According to the availability checker there is only one property (South Glen) served in that postcode. But that also has 23Mb VDSL available which I think would preclude a USO. Although there are also holiday lets with unknown status. If they're new maybe the connection was put in to service them ultimately?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 39

1. What is a USO build?
2. The fibre runs from the village (Palnackie) past my house (the 'splitter' is on a pole on my property and is connected to a buried Junction box in the verge over my wall.)
3. There is no other house or potential customer within 200 meters.  We are surrounded by fields and woods.
4. If you search BTwholesale for postcode DG7 1PN, you will get North Glen (me) and South Glen (my neighbour)  and two others.   Have a look. 
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressSuggestedList
5.  Fibre run was done by a contractor (Netel).  splitters by Openreach (I think).

There is a potential customer (me) trying to get noticed by a service provider who seems to be deaf.

0 Ratings